Raspberry Pi 3 can do crazy things - learn some of them here

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/25/raspberry-pi-3-can-do-crazy-th.html

1 Like

Snack time! Nom-nom-nom-nom! Tasty!

2 Likes

Low cost updated Synclavier?

1 Like

My RPi education followed a classic trajectory:

Buy a pi. Install Raspbian. Get frustrated with Linux coz I’m a n00b. Install RetroPi. Play classic SNES games forever. Never take it apart because SNES.

3 Likes

The Sonic Pi app (also for PC and Mac) runs over the SuperCollider engine, which should be able to do that. From a little testing, it sounds much better through a cheap USB sound card rather than the Pi’s own audio output.

2 Likes

Perhaps get a protoboard and a couple packs of connector wires?

It gives you a “Today an LED, tomorrow the world!” feeling of control missing from modern boxes.

A modern version of the old Radio Shack 150-in-1 electronic kits, centered around a Pi would be good.

2 Likes

Are you building the internet!?!? This lad is mad.

But yeah, I do seriously need to figure out how to use the GPIO pins some day.

That frayed insulation (or something that looks like it) on the power input’s giving me the heebie-jeebies. :wink:

I’ve just recently been playing with building noobs multiboot images for the Pi. Opens up a lot of options to play with and learn some of the available setups without needing to swap SD cards or pull things apart to get back to the ones you know.

Yeah, Supercollider would probably make a good engine. Could probably whump up a fairly good, cheap delta-sigma DAC output for it.

The old Synclav II was quite the DAW for its time: sample and wave table engine, FM engine, sequencer, interactive wave table editing, light pen monitor, a quite revolutionary music notation function, and so forth. Dual 6809s (w00t! w00t!). The most expensive parts would have been the electronics - the thing cost roughly $20,000 in 1980s dollars.

Nowadays, the most expensive part would be a weighted-key velocity-sensitive keyboard. For cost-effectiveness, a MIDI keyboard to soft-synths on a standard desktop or laptop is probably the way to go, but a dedicated DAW is still more convenient as an instrument - less setup and tear-down.

No, just watching my small part of it.

I’d replace it, but it’s hard to find good thick micro USB cables, and that’s key for eliminating power problems with the Pi.

The C-Media USB sound sticks are ~$10 and the OS understands them.

2 Likes

Ah yes, Raspi 3 and a twisty glass blunt.

1 Like

Really, not even Pi frequency control v. emu. clock frequency control to change up the rhythms of games? Only Variscite Amyloid Tiny Emo Smiths Turbinate Every Sprite.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.