Raspberry Pi 4

Do you know what the preferred method is for those these days?

Back in the day Distributed Multihead X was the thing for multi-head configurations split among hosts; but it looks like DMX got the chop 5 years ago. Aside from making me feel old; that means I’m not sure what the preferred mechanism is(ideally at a level of abstraction that doesn’t require application cooperation).

2 Likes

yeah that was my first thought too… my experience is that about half of the N64 games run well on the Pi3, but the other half are pretty much unplayable…

I’m not sure if I should be flattered or horrified that single board computers are now one of the product categories with ‘influencers’.

3 Likes

I’d rather have games in native code. Hopefully this will prod games that are only available in x64 and x86 Linux. (Which would be good for all Arm platforms, not just RPi.)

Everyone is dusting off their RPi3 tutorials and version bumping:

eta: I was searching for hints to solve a sqlite db problem on a Pi, and raised an eyebrow when I saw all of results from deviantart. Squinted closer: devart. Disappointed.

eta2: Sqlite is so picky! It opens transactions than have to be closed even when they’re not needed.

2 Likes

I’m not so sure there IS one – the one we run at work is a bespoke system using mac minis created and managed by one of our IT guys. We’ve looked into more commercial turn-key hyperwalls to reduce some of his workload, but have not been able to source any that fit the bill.

This looks great, but I’m iffy on the multiple SKUs - assuming it’s still memory mapped does it mean you’re going to need different versions of the software and different bits of source to compile in for the memory address structs?

I mean, it’s fine - it’s a minor issue, but it’s annoying that the software might not be portable

Start a group of enthusiasts, and go on a geek roadtrip to buffalo to buy a pile of Pi’s?

Why only one? :wink:

I’m using the term influencer to mean “people who might be confused with a reviewer, but whom lack journalistic neutrality”. I could have said ‘fanboy’, but that’s needlessly gendered.

I am a happy customer of https://www.buyapi.ca/. They’ve announced something about the Pi 4 in a recent email, but I’m not looking right now. I want one, maybe two. Three at the most. Just not right now.

Hmm. I wonder if the RPi4 is capable of powering a 2.5" HD from the USB3 port? I’ve always used a powered hub for that (dropping new Pis into the old setup), but I didn’t realize that the RPi3 had improved output until I tried to get a high-gain Wi-Fi adapter to work with a RPi2. I should test that with my RPi3B+.

It’d be nice not to have to buy a USB3 powered hub, and simplify “everything in one box” projects.

Even as far back as the Rpi 2, they violated the USB spec by allowing more than 500mA to downstream devices. IIRC, you had to alter the config.txt file to alter the current limiter on the USB ports. Later, when the USB spec allowed for higher currents, they followed suit. IIRC, it’s 900mA on a USB3 type A–unless you implement USB-BC then I think it’s 1.9A or such.

USB type C connectors are completely different animals and would need a wikipedia article sized reply to explain.

So, you should be good on the Pi4 is you use one of the USB3 ports, but you’ll want to check the power specs of your drive. If it’s >900mA, you may need one of those cheater cables that plugs into two USB ports. That’s likely the case if it’s a mechanical HD, maybe not if it’s an SSD.

Okay, theory is great, but here’s an actual test: Thomas Kaiser said that he hit a current limit of 1.1A when powering deivces from the Rpi4. He states that’s the sum total allowed for all USB ports combined. You might be needing that external powered hub after all.

3 Likes

If it’ll run the drive directly (WD Passport), that’s fine. I already have a USB2 powered hub for everything else.

Is there some technical reason why someone would purchase a USB 2.0 hub today? They seem to occupy shelfspace to the detriment of USB 3.0 devices, Even the Pi4 has two USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports.

To be perfectly honest, I’m glad that USB-C is not the only available product-- since I don’t have a USB-C device.

It made sense in 2014, when I bought it for my Pi1 server. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Bah, my UN*X BBS ran fine with 4MB.

2 Likes

The AT&T 3B2/400 maxed out at 4 MB, for that matter - and back then, that seemed downright impressive. UIUC had a bunch of those for their machine-level programming course, a few with the 5620 “Blit” terminals as well. I was wishing I could afford one of my own, at the time. These days, you’d be lucky to boot a modern Linux kernel in 4 MB, unless, perhaps, it was stripped to the barest bones.

There are actually emulators now for both the 3B2 and the Blit, and at some point I might want to set them up for old times’ sake.

I have an O’Reilly book from the lateeighties about system administration, actually written by O’Reilly.

Early on he describes a small, medium and.large Unix systems, and nkw the specs seem so quaint.

I’ve never been too cutting edge, so until three years aho the.most RAM I had was 2gigs. I don’t really use the 8gigs.I have, but certainly about upgrading to to 16gigs, mostly for bragging rights

1 Like

Considering we’re going from 1GB to 4GB in this generation, I don’t see any hurry to get to 8GB and beyond…

Definition 3 says “authority, custom, or general consent”.