Rather than regulate guns, Texas seeks to teach battlefield trauma care beginning in the third grade

This is bullshit.

Also this is bullshit:

( 9 ) instructional documents developed by the America College of Surgeons or the United States Department of Homeland Security

You know, one of the two, whatever.

20 Likes

The assholes who wrote this bill need to be solidly outed for inexcusably outrageous evilness.

14 Likes

Coming soon: all Texans will be required to carry a gun. . . to protect themselves from all the people carrying guns.

11 Likes

So we’re going to be expecting kids in Texas to plug their own gunshot wounds and the gun shot wounds of their best friends dying in their arms, at age 8…

But teaching them about gender identity and sex education is something that shouldn’t happen at school at all? What kind of backwards fucked up thinking is this?

15 Likes

Surely being America they should be teaching the kids how to check their bleeding classmate has insurance first and then ensuring they can generate an invoice for any health matters they deal with should said insurance be found to be valid.

Or at the very least procure strict contracts for the transfer of Fortnight weapons in the event of any first aid being needed.

19 Likes

What are Texas’ Good Samaritan laws like?

What if the family of one kid believes that another kid fumbled the battlefield trauma care and sues?

16 Likes

This is the sign of a very, very sick society. (Also I can’t imagine this would work very well - the damage done by the likes of an AR-15 at close range is catastrophic and leads to massive tissue damage.)

School districts are literally replacing sex ed with the battlefield trauma first aid classes. You can see the whole of the culture wars in this one act.

23 Likes

Period one. Battlefield Trauma.
Period two. PE

Cue lots of parents going, “if you’d done battlefield trauma after PE little Paul could have helped my little Johnny with his concussion.”

12 Likes

Rapid deployment of a tourniquet in limb shots can be lifesaving and very effective, but again, 8 year olds!

13 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking of the kind of interventions that need to be done, and what kids are going to be capable of. I don’t think these classes are going to be preparing kids for the sight of their classmates having been blown apart by multiple AR-15 rounds, even if, in theory, they actually do know how to apply a tourniquet.

15 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

18 Likes

Part of the training for this is hands on lessons so that the medic can be prepared to work through the shock of the situation as well as the physical actions necessary to complete it.

So, yes, I would wager this will involve showing ghastly images and roleplaying out scenarios with accurate representations of gunshot wounds.

6 Likes

That’s the thing - I really don’t think these kids will be treated like actual medics (because, you know, they’re not). I suspect instead they’ll get some half-assed training, as the real thing would be too traumatic. Although, given the trajectory of Texas, maybe they will show pictures of people with blown-apart bodies to 8-year-olds. Traumatizing children to keep adults from being mildly uncomfortable is on-brand for Republicans.

16 Likes

See, and y’all said that republicans didn’t have any ideas to deal with gun violence. /s

6 Likes

AR-15 style weapons don’t just create wounds that lead to blood loss, they rip small bodies apart in ways that even trauma surgeons rarely encounter. This isn’t a problem that’s going to be solved by handing out more gauze and latex gloves.

17 Likes

They’re talking about arming teachers too, who aren’t trained as law enforcement.

They absolutely will treat these kids like real medics, both options for the training mentioned in the bill are hands on courses.

9 Likes

My point previously. As an adult, and one with experience in blood and gore, the training for this kind of stuff left me shaken. Can you imagine the trauma left in an 8 or 9 year old going through that? (And yes, I know it is probably less than actually going through a shooting, but I would dearly love to believe it does not have to be an either-or kind of thing.)

20 Likes

Yeah. I definitely can, having gone through a traumatic red cross class dealing with trauma of this nature myself. It’s why the thought that this is okay to teach 3rd graders is a terrifying prospect and signs of a completely broken legislature. Because I do know the trauma that learning this stuff creates, and any legislature that thinks that’s a viable solution to the gun violence problem is capable of anything.

13 Likes

If I didn’t live in Texas, I would 100% think this is driving trollies, fake news, or made up… but living here… yeah, I imagine it is absolutely 100% real.

13 Likes

USA’s TV media policy writ larger. Showing violence is fine, showing sex is outrageous. More civilised places tend to approach the matter from the other direction.

I wonder if the fuckwit fascists in charge have ever seen the scene-of-crime photos of the ripped apart bodies of school kids after one of the mass shootings. They should be forced to see them all.

11 Likes