Rather than regulate guns, Texas seeks to teach battlefield trauma care beginning in the third grade

Originally published at: Rather than regulate guns, Texas seeks to teach battlefield trauma care beginning in the third grade | Boing Boing

7 Likes

If they’re old enough to give birth to kids of their own, then they’re old enough to treat a traumatic wound with massive blood loss. /s

21 Likes

They need to be paying these kids a first responder salary and providing insurance for the families. They shouldn’t mind… GOP is all about child labor, right?

22 Likes

Old enough to learn battlefield trauma care but far too young and innocent to learn queer people exist. :rage:

37 Likes

wtf

18 Likes

Sigh look i’m all for mandating students being trained for first aid but not quite for the same reasons Texas wants to. Climate change increases the risk of injury for everybody so i’m fine with every single high school graduate being first aid certified as a mandate to get their diploma. I want NY to ditch the public service requirements for high schoolers (like planting flowers and reading to old folks) and replace with it first aid and rudimentary disaster training instead.

Heat stroke, dehydration, hyperthermia, frostbite, smoke inhalation from wildfires and traumatic injuries from tornados and hurricanes are all things texans have been facing recently. It isn’t a terrible idea really.

24 Likes

Holy shit…
Listen, for any who have never been through this training, just assessing the reality of what you are training to do is incredibly traumatic. Third graders?? THIRD GRADERS???

(Yes, I have all those things in my first aid kit. But you know what? I am a trained physician with an ICU background and most of all a fucking adult! These are 8 year olds! :cry: )

40 Likes

Such optimists! Dog tags for identification would probably be a “better” investment.

Once you eliminate the impossible (doing anything about guns), whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
– Arthur Conan Doyle

17 Likes

Wow. And here all these years we thought ‘zombies’ were some kind of fantasy.

7 Likes

Surely there will be safety scissors in that kit.

17 Likes

This is insanity

24 Likes

Well Texas considers them old enough to give birth, so its a natural fit to teach them this sort of thing.

13 Likes

Can’t wait to tell the third graders that they will be dealing with this.

14 Likes
26 Likes

These gun-hugging fascists are hellbent on having a Syrian-style civil war and are preparing accordingly.

21 Likes

This makes perfect logical sense once one realizes that a primary goal of the GOP right now is to turn as many Americans against the public school system as possible.

They want to destroy it, and siphon all the tax dollars earmarked for public institutions towards privately run schools. One of the many ways to encourage you to go along with their plans is to make public schools as unsafe and ineffective as possible.

Once you’re convinced that sending your child to a public school is the equivalent of sending them off to war to die, you’ll spend your salary on a Private institution that is double dipping into the public eduction coffers and your own wallet.

As these private institutions will be free from many of the laws governing the public schooling system, expect your children to get a solid dose of Right-Wing extremism along with the added cost.

Meanwhile, for the poor, they’ll be left to fend for themselves in the hollowed out warzone that will be what’s left of the public option.

28 Likes

This has got to be satire right? Right?

6 Likes

Hell no, it is not. This is the fascist paradise.

24 Likes

Yes. This is their civil war here in this state imo. The children are the intended casualties. They are literally killing our children to avoid educating them. Our state is literally actually no-joke killing off its own population as best it can measure by measure.

And they call this “conservative” but it doesn’t conserve human lives that’s for damned sure.

21 Likes

This is the future conservatives want.

12 Likes