Razer reveals concept for N95 mask with voice projection and mouth illumination

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/15/razer-reveals-concept-for-n95-mask-with-voice-projection-and-mouth-illumination.html

3 Likes

So, Beats for the face?

With ear loops it looks like it would be extremely uncomfortable. The mask looks heavy, and even it it’s not they would need to be way too tight in order to provide a good seal. I’m sure I would prefer cheap 3M 6000 series mask with N100 filters over this.
I know that hiding face causes accesibility issues for people with impaired hearing, but for me it has a positive side - I am extremely shy, so I prefer that my face is not visible.

8 Likes

But… is it washable and where are the replaceable filter elements? As anyone who works for a living could have told you long before any pandemic, masks get gross real fast. They need to be simple, washable, and the filter elements have to be disposable to be safe.

A little less time on THX and LEDs, and more time on actual safety and livability, please.

11 Likes

That’s going to look very pretty post-sneeze.

10 Likes

By the time this gets into production (if it ever does) the vaccine will probably be widespread enough that masks might not be that necessary.

2 Likes

With that in mind, I’d love to know who Razer’s biggest investors are, what other pies they have their fingers in, and if those investors are the type to have political influence.

2 Likes

If I had to guess? Reddit - Dive into anything and r/gaming.

Gamestop calls.

Trade shows are less about products and more about press inches. Mission accomplished!

3 Likes

It really needs to be modded with a screen for protogen like mouth animations.

2 Likes

Video game nerd in me tells me not to buy one of these until this version is available:

3 Likes

They couldn’t resist Razerizing it with lights. Well, I suppose that does differentiate it from the literal dozens of “improved” masks I’ve been pitched in Facebook ads, but those skinny ear loops are a stupid way to hold a giant mask with batteries and a fan on your face. Lacking experience in an industry doesn’t automatically make one an “innovator”, rather it may mean an outsider company makes the same design errors that companies in the industry overcame years ago.

Also, no way this can be called an N95 because N95 isn’t just a filtration level standard, there are other criteria required for the standard as well, and ear loops don’t meet them. There are no N95s that have just ear loops, not even disposable N95s. They all have head straps. So Razer are talking out of their butt when they call this an N95 since it can’t be one, not even if the filter was perfect and they submitted the mask for NIOSH testing and approval.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the science is pointing towards “COVID is a thing now”. It mutates fast and will likely become seasonal like the flu- requiring new shots every year, with periodic regional outbreaks necessitating mask orders in certain areas.

Much like most Asian countries, get comfortable making masks an occasional part of life. They aren’t going away.

8 Likes
2 Likes

There’s a guy at my work who wears an Akali oni mask.

1 Like

Can’t believe that this one wasn’t on that list:

2 Likes

The Question was an ayn-cap, so he doesn’t care if other people get ill from viruses.

1 Like

I request a “Bane Mode” voice modulation. It is tiring doing it myself.

2 Likes

They should just make a Bane mask, and a cat version since cats can get Covid…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.