RCMP: Former Canadian mint worker smuggled out $180K by hiding it up his butt

No I was just imaging the trying to smuggle the eiffel towers the same way the Canadian Mint worker did.

“That is going where?”

Everyone should see that movie. Alec Guinness needs to be known for more than just as Obi Wan Kenobi.

3 Likes

The total amount would be a cube about 6cm on edge. Still not too bad with a little vaseline, but the points will kill.

2 Likes

:+1:

Plusothercharacterstosatisfyboingboing.

4 Likes

They should weigh their employees, going in and out. Then plot the results.

4 Likes

“Puck” suggests that it’s not a cube.

2 Likes

217 cubic cm. You resolve that into a reasonable “puck” shape, I’m going to bed.

1 Like

No, that’s not right, that would be 216cm^3. As was pointed out above, 210g of gold would be 10.87cm^3 in volume.

A 10.87cm^3 cube would be 2.2cm on each side.

Alternatively, it could be a sphere 2.7cm across… or a sausage shape approximately the size of ones index finger.

(Incidentally, where does it say the employee was ‘directed to attempt to recreate the feat’? All I saw was ‘a security employee actually tested the idea’- maybe someone volunteered?)

7 Likes

On the CBC Radio1 yesterday evening they were talking about this and apparently the puck shape is like a “mini-muffin” … I don’t know what to do with this information.

4 Likes

Density of gold: 19.32 grams per cubic centimeter

217 cubic centimeters would weigh in at 4192.44 grams, or 4.19244 kg. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nothing, is my advice.

6 Likes

I can only imagine this working with the incentive that the employee be allowed to keep whatever they can carry?

3 Likes

#EALING COMEDIES ARE AMONG THE BEST

#diss these films and die like the rest!

4 Likes

:thumbsdown:

That’s a buttload of gold!

5 Likes

Per Wikepedia’s definition (i learned about this recently which is why i’m taking advantage and posting it)

The butt is one in a series of English wine cask
units, being half of a tun. It has also been asserted that a butt was
used as a unit of volume for dry measure in the United Kingdom, equivalent to 108 litres (24 imp gal; 29 US gal).

2 Likes

I assume there is a conversion from English units to Troy. :wink:

1 Like

$180,000/$43/gm = 4186gm. That’s the mass of the gold he stole.

I believe the reference to 210gm is the individual pucks, not the total amount.

2 Likes

Well, there goes the mini-muffin I was going to have for breakfast.

5 Likes

Welcome to my world.

2 Likes

2 Likes