Read Mitch McConnell's proposed rules for the Trump impeachment trial

Yeah, that’s what I was afraid of.

Then the prosecution need to make their case shorter and with greater impact

4 Likes

This is an interesting development if true. It sure would set a weird precedent for calling witnesses considering that no one has any reason to believe Hunter Biden has any relevant knowledge of the President’s actions or what motivated them.

5 Likes

I can only hope against hope that Traitor Trump someday receives just, proportionate punishment for the fundamentally heinous crimes he has committed against the U.S., and that Moscow Mitch shares the scaffold with him.

4 Likes

Fucking hell. I thought the “secret memo” nonsense was a weird fucking precedent but this…

Why not call Alex Jones as a witness at this point?

4 Likes

The tortoise of oligarchy himself? Some earnest little Liberty University School of Law minion on his staff?

1 Like

Hey TurtleBoy!

7 Likes

An impartial observer watching this farce would see all this nonsense and reach the only logical conclusion: that the Republicans know full well that Trump is as guilty as sin but that they’ve gone all in on him and so are desperate to prevent any kind of public scrutiny of his activities. Because if he goes down, they go down with him.

But there are no impartial observers any more. And Trump’s loyal cultists will see this as their clever friend Mr. McConnell deftly outmaneuvering those loser Dems to prevent them sucking up any more time and attention with their outrageously bogus accusations against Our Orange Lord and Savior, Donald Jesus Trump.

My last faint hope is that Americans aren’t as stupid as McConnell thinks, and that conservatives can still recognize bullshit when they smell it and are as disgusted as I am by this state of affairs. But that’s a very faint hope, and all the evidence suggests that a majority of Republican voters are just fine with what’s going on.

7 Likes

90% of Republican voters are fully convinced that Trump did nothing wrong[1] and this is just sour grapes from Democrats making stuff up to make his life difficult. That is not an exaggerated figure.

Clearly there is a massive disconnect here. Are we not getting some part of the story that the Republican voters are getting? Clearly guilt or innocence can not be so obvious if there is a counter narrative that is so effective. I’m not going to outright dismiss 40% of the population as dumb and ignorant, that’s the kind of tribalist thinking that got us in this mess in the first place. What are they basing their belief in? Not everybody can be swallowing the opposite-of-reality narrative that I’ve seen in a few places (one recurring thread is that Joe Biden ordered the halt of foreign aid to Ukraine until they gave a cushy job to his son). Even a cursory examination of the facts renders that narrative nonsense (Joe Biden doesn’t have the power to do that), so it can’t be that convincing.

[1] https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls

4 Likes

2 Likes

The Republicans will only ask questions about Hunter Biden’s job, I’d imagine…

Truly the dumbest of timelines.

3 Likes

Which of course is totally irrelevant to the proceedings since the question before the Senate isn’t what real or imagined crimes Hunter Biden may have committed, it was what crimes Donald Trump may have committed.

Even if Trump’s actions were somehow justified by what he knew about Hunter Biden then the relevant witness would be whoever informed Trump about the crimes of Hunter Biden.

1 Like

Yes, I totally agree it irrelevant… Tell that to the republicans, who want to bring that in to show how “both sides” do it, it’s normal, therefore, Trump did nothing wrong. They can’t get over their view that winning at all cost is all that matters, no matter that our country and the world face real problems that we need to get on the ball solving now.

They want to ask Hunter Biden questions about how he helped the Ukraine government hack the 2016 election.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.