Read the bizarre Olympic Committee demands that led Oslo to pull out of the 2022 hosting race

Lutefisk is harmless. They could have invited the Scandinavian friends and served surströmming, though.

@bibliophile20 was a tad faster : )

13 Likes

Durian fruit is delicious but makes me happy for my very weak sense of smell.

10 Likes

…hence the demand for Coke products?

8 Likes

Of course not. The existence of competitors to official sponsors of the "Greek mountain adjective competition event"® is not allowed to be recognized, much less affirmed via logos or advertising, or Zeus forbid an actual product presence, being seen within x number of miles of anyone who might think of the name of the "Greek mountain adjective competition event"® or else the entire hosting nation has to sacrifice its first born children to the spirit of international corruption.

5 Likes

Holy fucksocks; what assholes.

12 Likes

Did you ever had it?
For me it was the most strange food experience I ever had. When you are able to dislocate/unattache (?) your sense of smell and/or ignore some gagging reflexes, the taste is very interesting in a good way. I won’t say pleasant, but it asks for a second or third taste and idea’s for food combinations.

Although, it was in the open air we tried. So for that Olympic Committee please keep the doors shut and the tins warm. grin.

12 Likes

DC was in the running for (I think) the 2024 Olympics. I had already planned to move and enjoy the fiasco from afar.

That wouldn’t scare me away, though. But then, I’m not a narcissistic blowhard, so someone like me would never be in that position.

7 Likes

Does snowballs count as “Seasonal fruit”? Otherwise surströmming it is, even if its the wrong season for it. (Not sure if there really is a right season, though).

3 Likes

The flavor of durian is wonderful, like tropical vanilla custard, with flavors of mango and banana.

But when it’s fresh, your kitchen will smell like an entire garbage dump filled with rotten fruit and armpits.

11 Likes

Why do you think so much money was spent on Beijing? And Sochi? Rational organizations don’t spend 45 billion, or 51 billion, unless they have something else in mind other than transitory glory.

2 Likes

Maybe they were hoping to have fixed metrorail by 2024.

2 Likes

“It was during the time I wandered about and starved in Christiania: Christiania, this singular city, from which no man departs without carrying away the traces of his sojourn there.”

From Knut Hamsun’s Hunger, translation by George Eagerton.

I’m glad Oslo refused to change, but unfortunately the IOC is also still the same.

4 Likes

In 2012, London won a concession to allow ambulances in the special IOC lanes, but only if it was a life or death emergency.

12 Likes

Some of those things are doable, but reflect a certain lack of trust.This is understandable from the point of view of a touring rock band that’s not in the mood for surprises. But I wouldn’t trust a cultural organization that demanded such blandness.

Other things on the list suggest a imperiousness that’s not willing to engage with the real world. Yes, it is important that athletes … and, ok, I suppose, if you must… IOC officials … not get delayed in traffic for what is after all, their thing. But 'special lanes" is not the way modern industrialized societies solve transit problems. It’s how kleptocracies and dictatorships solve transit problems.

9 Likes

My needs:

1. Booze everywhere I go.
  2. My own lane to drive my drunk ass everywhere.
  3. Everyone must smile and say that this is okay.
12 Likes

Coke pays good money for the monopoly-- a monopoly that really doesn’t make sense to any outsider. Thus the heavyhandedness.

2 Likes

Oh, okay then… They paid good money.

Now I get it.

3 Likes

I was once near a just opened can. Fainthearted me refused tasting it and I feel still happy that my sense of smell survived the experience.

All my plans and hopes of becoming a viking one day died abruptly at that remarkably time and place.

4 Likes

my reply to that is:

http://imgur.com/4dI0uAX

4 Likes