Read the ultimate foot-stamping rant about Millennials

Mindy, you know if we actually knew each other I’d give you all the things… So when I disagree…

Nursing, CS and others are being ‘pushed up’, but are still vocations. There is nothing wrong with that label, I am a vocational dude.

But what you do is more important. We need me’s and others, but teach critical thought, history, and fuck dude your amazing writeup on Amanda palmer are important.

And that is what I was trying to say. The vocation is great, but the process behind it is better. (My boss bought me two beers, I’m rambling)

11 Likes

I say this without a trace of sarcasm: You’re like my role model for what I’m going to do if my plans don’t work out. Maybe not exactly, but it’s worth considering the possibility that I will never use my chemistry knowledge to a make a living. (Which would make me sad, but it’s not the end of the world.)

4 Likes

I’ll tell ya one thing (while burping). It isn’t a shorter road. Fun? Gotta lot of stories? Meet awesome people? Yes.

But it isn’t shorter.

3 Likes

Thanks… but really, not everyone agrees that those things matter, actually. Especially not the people who fund our university system as of late. We, as a society need to decide that those things actually matter, because, no matter what you do, you can’t really make them economically viable in the same manner that other vocations are. This is why for centuries only the elite got to sit around and thing big thoughts and then tell those big thoughts to other people. Now it’s wide open in many ways, but damned if it’s not starting to eat itself.

And again, I don’t think that what I do is any more or less important than any of those other things. Because it’s not. It’s just that I don’t want to have wasted the last 10 years of my life on this and have it all come out to not being able to do anything worthwhile or constructive with it…

5 Likes

There’s always need for chemistry. I’ve learned over and over again that just doing the stoichiometry and then “following the recipe” almost never offers practical results without practicing doing the reaction and discovering the little tricks to doing the work efficiently.

Chemistry is the science of matter. That’ll always be interesting.

4 Likes

That made me, honestly, take a big breath of air.

Jebus, how to even say this.

You are taking a corpus of well grounded ideas, and teaching people how to look at it, and use it to predict what may or may not happen.

I take a wild guess, and assume I am right.

Every day, including today, it feels like jumping out of a hot air balloon. I assume you feel like every day is being like pressed between two rocks.

But what you do it Important.

8 Likes

How bout this.

I think you and I are about:

• equal IQ
  • equal age
  • equal ambition

So let’s kick each others asses and get important stuff done.

3 Likes

Can I get in on this when I’m feeling a little less lazy?

A United Ass-Kickers meeting might be just what I’m needing.

8 Likes

Did anyone else read “foot-stamping” as something akin to “foot-stomping” or “toe-tapping”, and come in expecting something with rhythm and verve?

2 Likes

A millennial ranting about millennial cry babies.

I’m reminded of young adventurers who settled the West and invented American football because they thought their generation was turning into “pussies” compared to their parents seeing the nation through a Civil War. The old-timer lamenting the decline of youth is an old cliché. Less recognized but at least as common is the frustrated youngster railing at their “lazy, stupid, weak” peers.

New words, same old tune.

Yes, we’ve lost some things and we’ve gained some things. But personally what I want to see us as a culture develop isn’t something we ever had in any great supply…self-actualization. I look at those who are changing the world, not just the superstars, but the “music makers…the dreamers of dreams…movers and shakers,” and what I see are people who embraced the knowledge at their fingertips - the work of generations of scholars and scientists and artists and disadvantaged upstarts whose thirst and curiosity prevailed against adversity they sought to remove from the path of future generations. I see people who perceive there not a stymieing overload, but an endless cornucopia of opportunity.

A handful of self-actualized people born to privilege or good fortune or simply possessed of indomitable spirits have always added to that richness of humanity’s legacy. Now in the crucible of the 21st Century our civilization faces its greatest existential threats since the Toba event took a good swipe at expunging our prehistoric ancestors, and hence us, from the fossil record. Now more than ever we need more of those self-actualized people.

I’m not saying everyone needs to revolutionize the world. I’m saying our best chance for survival and prosperity is in giving as many people as we possibly can the opportunity and the belief in their own potential not to fulfill some static version of the American Dream, but to carve their own niches instead of waiting for places to be prepared for them. Give someone a choice between careers defined by others and they’ll try to figure out where they’ll be least unhappy. Give them knowledge and train them to appreciate being in control of their lives, and they’ll try to make something out of themselves. But give them an inflexible college education without any appreciation for connecting the dots of their own life, and don’t be surprised when you get a generation of lost boys and girls bouncing through majors like pinballs through a dizzying machine.

They all need to learn a practical mentality toward quotidian affairs, to dream for themselves in their own voices whether expressed in metal, marketing, music or management, and to exercise the common sense to sit back, calm down and think before acting, then follow through without stopping to panic. But they do not all need to learn to integrate or write a sonnet. Some will thirst to learn both, as I did, and others will pursue knowledge I never even knew existed. We don’t need drones, we need practical dreamers who don’t see the adult world as their great Adversary.

To that end, as institutions created to serve the future and lift all boats, both secondary and higher ed have a mandate to offer not just a diversity of majors, but a diversity of kinds of degrees. And I’m not talking about vocational schools and two-year colleges being billed as alternate less desirable routes. I’m talking about academia itself recognizing and serving the need for a continuum of skillsets.

If anyone feels I’m being vague, I strongly encourage at least giving the following debate a chance. Even if you just give it 15 minutes (a fraction of the time it takes to watch a circus that it a presidential debate), you’ll come away with food for thought.

5 Likes

It’s what evolution has been striving for. All the way back to the bluegreen algae.

Also, Rachel Foote is 846 days late and about seven billion people short…

1 Like

I’m not sure that it is an emerging one, just an expanding one. Students in the past used to emulate the way they imagined things used to be in some past golden era. We have a British MP named Jacob Rees-Mogg who tries to act as if he was a 19th century aristocrat, whereas in fact his father was a journalist; he has certainly not got it from the Internet. And in my own university days (turn of the 70s) we had everything from the dress-for-dinner mob to the Trotskyites whose daddies really were aristocrats.
Adolescents trying on identities to see what fits isn’t that new; just, I think, more visible.

1 Like

Actually, according to Terry Pratchett, L-space contains every possible book, brought into existence by the sheer pressure of available data. And Borges’ Library contains every possible book too, but they can never be found because of the infinite number of nonsense ones. Then there’s Plato’s Archetypes.

And the number of Roman rants about “kids today” is considerable; plus, if you read between the lines of Ecclesiasticus (not Ecclesiastes which is different) you will find that parents must have been complaining about the way their kids behaved at public gatherings several hundred years BCE. As the other one (actual Ecclesiastes) says, there is nothing new beneath the sun.

5 Likes

And this is why those philosophers tend to be so right wing, because the right wing has the money to pay them to do it.
There is a case that Socrates was really executed because he was thinking up arguments to persuade the younger generation to overthrow Athenian democracy in the interests of his rich backers, like Plato.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Besides missing classes, I was that student. And that’s why I’m probably never going back to college. I know I’m an asshole, but I don’t like being one. I’m a bad student. And I owe it to the teachers to just not be in school.

Also I never wrote reviews of teachers. Because I’m too lazy and I never really had bad (or really, unfair is the word that comes to mind. I’d only write a review if my “justice spidey sense” were triggered. Which of course is just basic fairness plus a nasty wad of all my biases and prejudices) teachers after high school.

I never did well in school, but at least I know that I was the problem for that kind of institution.

I learn better on my own through curiosity without curriculum. It’s good to teach literacy and mathematics and science and history (which is so big it’s hard to understand a concept of a “basic level” for, since history has so much human bias injected into it. It’s one of those things where I feel I’d never be able to have a half-way decent understanding of it without studying it my entire life. That’s why I liked physics. It offers a shortcut in understanding. If I can perfectly understand the most basic parts and laws of the universe (like a Grand Unified Theory), I can simulate the whole shebang perfectly. And examine it later). But after that curiosity of the kid needs to be the biggest factor in what they dive into.

6 Likes

My sister was a high school teacher for many years (now retired). Towards the end of her career there was a thing where parents would have their children classified as “special needs” when they obviously weren’t. Many of those students didn’t want to be classified as such, but since they were, teachers had to essentially handle them with kid gloves or face the wrath of litigous parents. The kids were victims of their parents gaming the system.

On the other hand, I remember a project assignment my lab partner and I had in college. There was no way we would be able to finish it in time, so we went to see the professor and ask for an extension,

He wouldn’t give us one, just said turn in whatever we were able to get done, and then floored us by telling us that we were the only ones who had come to him asking for more time.

He then picked us up off the floor by saying he didn’t understand why more students didn’t see him because the assignment was designed to be impossible to finish. “If you can work for me, you can work for anyone out in the world.” It was a brilliant life lesson.

My lab partner left the professor’s office pissed and never took another class from him. I thought it was a brilliant move and took three more excellent classes with him.

10 Likes

I’ve used Borges’ bizarre ‘chinese’ classification as an epigraph in something about object types I wrote last century, and the chunk “which from a distance look like flies” seems to go well with “which from long ago exasperate their parents”.

3 Likes