Real dog fooled by lookalike dog marionette puppet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/18/real-dog-fooled-by-lookalike-dog-marionette-puppet.html

4 Likes

“Poor guy, I’ve only got one leash, while he’s got eight or nine, on every part of his body!”

5 Likes

“Fooled?” Maybe, but hard to get inside the dog’s mind.

If a human interacts with a humanoid robot does that mean they thought it was a real human? Or does it mean they were fascinated to meet something that acted human but clearly wasn’t?

7 Likes

both are just extensions of their humans.

(of course the real doggy is much more than that.)

2 Likes

definitly. its quite obvious. /e ah, mmmmmhhh, ok, maybe youre right.

1 Like

“Hey! Your butt didn’t smell real!”

3 Likes

Have you ever seen how little kids react to someone with a puppet?

Most of them understand on some level that the puppet is a character “brought to life” by a puppeteer, yet fundamentally different than a flesh-and-blood being. That doesn’t diminish how excited they are to meet and interact with those puppets. We could be seeing the dog version of that interaction.

10 Likes

yep, guess youre right. wasnt thinking enough about it, could absolutly be.

2 Likes

One of my favorite stories about the Muppets was the time Jim Henson went on some late night talk show to be interviewed as Kermit and during the commercial break the sound guys asked him if he could speak up louder because they were having trouble picking him up on the boom mic.

Turned out that they were instinctively pointing the microphone at the puppet instead of Henson. Even we big-brained apes can easily let ourselves get swept up in the illusion! :grinning:

13 Likes

'ey, that puppeteer is pretty damn good! if i didn’t see the strings (‘on me’) i could be fooled.

1 Like

Well, the trick is, the dog is real, the strings are fake.

3 Likes

Because why not.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.