Watch: Incredible glowing bug moves too lifelike to be just a puppet

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/25/watch-incredible-glowing-bug.html

4 Likes

Wow that’s really incredible and very interesting puppet design for controlling it. The performance does seem very lifelike.

5 Likes

Barnaby Dixon’s work is all-around amazing:

10 Likes

Absolutely Amazing!

Wow, what an awesome puppet and performance… He makes what I’m sure is very difficult look effortless.

1 Like

Human skill can still out-cute the best cuteness algorithm!

2 Likes

Interesting to watch my own mental processes here: I started watching the second video and my initial take was “nice but nothing special” - and then about thirty seconds in I realised I was the thinking of the puppeteer and the puppet as separate living creatures.

4 Likes

This is just scary realistic. I mean, I am already pretty sure that Walter and Peanut are alive, so this…

2 Likes

That “HA!” at the end. Good for him.

I found myself doing the same. I was aware of how little it mattered that I could see him, the mechanisms, and the technique behind the animation. Kind of cool how the brain helpfully plays along to get the most enjoyment out of the experience. Sort of like those dinosaur costumes where you can clearly see a pair of human legs in addition to the backwards raptor legs sticking out underneath but all you can think is “Holy crap a dinosaur is walking down the hallway!”

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.