The Puppets of Barnaby Dixon move through space in an incredibly realistic way

Originally published at: The Puppets of Barnaby Dixon move through space in an incredibly realistic way | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’ve done my share of puppetry, and for some reason I found his stuff really… annoying? when he first popped up on the socials.

Glad to see he’s kept at it, some of his work is really neat. There’s just something about hands-on manipulation

Hmm. Now I’m wondering what could happen if you threw generative ai at animation rigs

2 Likes

Unfortunately, as talented as he is, he also platforms transphobes. :frowning: I was super-disappointed when I found out, because I find his puppetry really appealing.

5 Likes

I suppose you’re talking about this

2 Likes

Didn’t know about that, good to know

3 Likes

Yeh, though after watching both videos I didn’t really come away with an understanding that transphobia characterizes the artist in any significant way, though I’m glad to understand more.

TERsnet? I’m not clicking on THAT!

1 Like

Not sure what the hosting site is as I only did a quick google search, but here are the videos as I assume Youtube is ok

Just FYI, Mumsnet itself has credibly been accused of being a hotbed of transphobia. Make of that what you will.

The videos themselves just seem to me like Barnaby doubling down, but I’m not going to speak for those in the trans community who are more up on the subject.

2 Likes

Fair enough. The page itself, including the comments (which are usually a dead giveaway) didn’t seem to contain anything obviously transphobic, but hopefully providing the YouTube links will give people who might fear being harmed by this site a way to view the source material.

There might be quite a rabbit hole here and I don’t understand if there’s more background, but the main concern from the person he’s interviewing are the long term impact of hormonal drugs and surgical intervention with lack of solid data.

2 Likes

Anthony Bourdain Yes GIF by Ovation TV

4 Likes

One of my cats reacts to the fish and bird puppets as if they are real; you can’t fool the professionals.

3 Likes

He is very talented. Even better than John Malkovich.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.