Real-life Tom & Jerry: security video of house cat playing with mouse instead of killing it

Originally published at: Real-life Tom & Jerry: security video of house cat playing with mouse instead of killing it | Boing Boing

4 Likes

100% that mouse’s behavior is caused by a parasite

4 Likes

Neat, but surely “the real life Tom and Jerry” involves Tom trying to EAT Jerry, no?
Also lots of mallets and stuff

2 Likes

Where’s Butch?

2 Likes

Narrator: the mouse was not enjoying itself.

8 Likes

My cat does this with house spiders. They are NOT his friend and eventually get eaten or smushed.

3 Likes

No kidding. Talk about anthropomorphizing. That thing is in full-on freeze mode and went into flight mode every time the cat was still.

Either the wall or the cat’s stomach.

7 Likes

Moths too. Saw two of my cats doing that with one of them yesterday.

1 Like

Enjoy all the mouse poo dust sucked up into the dryer drum and all over the clothes.

At least it wasn’t a live cicada. Our first family cat tried to bring one inside as a gift for the family. Another time it was a live mouse.

2 Likes

Better than these fictional counterparts…

itchy and scratchy GIF

2 Likes

Uh… cats are often known to toy with their prey before eating it.

The mouse’s behavior was odd; ‘flight mode’ seemed very delayed.

1 Like

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature.2013.13777

https://www.science.org/content/article/brain-parasite-may-strip-away-rodents-fear-predators-not-just-cats

4 Likes

From my layperson understanding it does seem like the mouse has toxoplasmosis since it’s not normal behavior. It’s not impossible that a mouse just wasn’t feeling threatened by the cat but seems highly unlikely.

Another possible explanation might be that the mouse had been previously exhausted by the cat. I had seen one of my parents’ house cats with a mouse in the backyard, by the time i had noticed the poor thing it had been thoroughly exhausted and had given up on running away. I saved it by getting the cat back indoors, much to the cat’s dismay.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.