Real time coffee statistics infographic

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/20/real-time-coffee-statistics-in.html

1 Like

Who’s counting?

9 Likes

Idon’tcarehowmanycupsofeachtypeofcoffeearebeingservedjustgivemewhatever’squickestokay?

11 Likes

Link to the source?

1 Like

“The designer’s imagination”.

(First I’ve heard of a flat white, ever. Where is this popular?)

2 Likes

It’s an Aussie/NZ thing that became suddenly popular here in the states a few months back.

I think it’s a Wet Cappuccino in some parlances?

8 Likes

Now hold on there mister, this here is a family-friendly blog!

8 Likes

That’s where my boss at work fell in love with them.

And now anytime we are on the road we’re off in search of a good Flat White.

A Flat White is just the Anglo term for a Cafe con leche. So I can see how it is the most popular coffee drink in the world.

4 Likes

OK. Call me crass and uneducated, but what is a flat white?

I’m just surprised that a regular coffee is not drunk more often. This graphic only shows coffee bought at stores, not brewed at home. Perhaps that explains the reason. If home-drunk coffee were included, I’d bet that regular would be way higher.

1 Like

OK. Thanks. Then that actually approaches what I had expected. A regular coffee with milk is the most popular.

1 Like

10 Likes

Sorry, I looked it up — a “flat white” is actually something else.

How that gets served more than “regular coffee,” I don’t know.

4 Likes

“Regular” is a regional term. In the NYC area it gets you light and sweet. In the midwest, among others, it means black. Even if I specify black here, I have to say “black, no sugar” or I get it sweet.

I wonder how much of this distribution is an artifact of once you’re paying a ridiculous amount for a coffee, you might as well go fancy. My 14 year old recent coffee drinker is astonished anyone would pay so much for a coffee when it’s so easy to make great coffee in an Aeropress.

2 Likes

Objection your honor, asked and answered!

“Flat white” AKA ‘White Coffee’ in the UK?

First Cappuccino-like coffee I ever had. In Scotland, in the 1970s.

Kid’s got coffee figured out and they’re only fourteen. Someone’s doing parenting right.

4 Likes

No Turkish coffee? I wonder if this is a real infographic…

8 Likes

It’s not the same thing - a Flat White uses steamed milk like a Cappucino rather than scalded, and it has a higher proportion of coffee to milk.

I’m surprised it’s the most popular variation, but not that it has a high percentage as in Australia/NZ it’s by far the most popular to the point where I wouldn’t be surprised if 90% of all coffees were Flat Whites. I was in Taiwan earlier in the year and the coffee houses I visited all served it.

Of all the coffees, Flat White and Turkish are the best :coffee:

1 Like

No corretto either.

Nope. But reality has a way of being tricky like that, so… :confused: