Recently discovered: Eiffel's drawings for a slightly different Statue of Liberty

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/09/recently-discovered-eiffels.html

12 Likes

Oh, this is a marvellous find!

7 Likes

here is the one with the redmarks:

14 Likes

So, now we need some clever person to give us a 3D rendering of the actual and planned, side by side, for comparison purposes. It’s ok, I’ll wait…

8 Likes

1|nullxnull

14 Likes

Oh cool! Swapping that one into the post. Thanks!

7 Likes

What’s really clever is the way the design plans hid the rocket engines.

(image courtesy of: https://boingboing.net/2017/07/11/text-this-san-francisco-museum.html)

13 Likes

Yeah, but with the arm angle altered, the rockets may need adjusting, and likely nobody thought of that. Lord knows where it’ll end up now.

5 Likes

The arm angle issue was eventually solved.

4 Likes

I’ve sometimes wondered how much the art of mechanical engineering has advanced since then. If she were designed today,would her internal framework look any different?

Undoubtedly. Among other things there is much better metalurgy now, and understanding of failure is a lot better. Taken together you,d get a generally lighter structure with less ‘stuff’ in it.

But also look at how buildings are made, then and now - compare the way the Empire State is designed with, for example, the internal structure of the WTC.

2 Likes

Maybe a lot of adjusting. Those are Soviet R-7 type rocket engines!

4 Likes

Meanwhile in a parallel universe

2 Likes

Not that much.

I’m now having fun with the imaginary redesign of the internal framework. And eventually, the copper panels will need replacing. Eventually the ship of Theseus can be rebuilt all over again!

4 Likes

THE OLD COLOSSUS

I met a human from a time-lost land
Who said: “A woman, bronze, with diadem
Sits broken, buried slantwise in the sand,
Her legs and trunk are gone: no sign of them.
A head remains, two shoulders, arm and hand,
A torch, long dead, and one piece yet beside,
A copper plaque in whose impassioned plea,
Corroded words bade weary travelers bide.
I traced their meaning; not an easy chore:
‘Give me your masses, yearning to breathe free…
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!’
My horse browsed nigh; the witness to my yell:
You blew it up! Curse you forevermore!
Mad, hairless apes! God damn you all to hell!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.