Recreating the CIA's "top secret" abstract painting collection

[Read the post]

FTL: “Why Does the CIA Keep Its Art Collection Secret?”

Because f**k you even though you (over)paid for it, that’s why.

10 Likes

In the 1980s… Vincent Melzac donated 29 abstract paintings from the Washington Color School to the CIA… but when asked for details about them, the CIA goes mum, claiming that the paintings are top secret.

Melzac is a genius. This is the coolest piece of performance art I’ve ever seen!

6 Likes

the only logical explanation, really.

3 Likes

Well, look at the paintings and all the dots. No wonder they’re secret.
JUST CONNECT ALL THE DOTS!
It all makes sense now…
JFK … the Federal Reserve … Nicaragua … PewDiePie …
I understand it all, now. Thank you!

3 Likes

Huh. I would have guessed the CIA would lean more toward Surrealism than Abstract Modernism.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t the tomato-about-to-impact be rotten, not green?

it’s an apple.

it’s floating, not being thrown. something Magritte was known for

i like your interpretation, though

2 Likes

Dats one hell of a surname you got there, bruv. It’s…catchy.

4 Likes

A: Because they hate American democracy so much that they cannot pass any opportunity to spite it, no matter how pointless.

2 Likes

why would you not want to give details - well if someone took them home, then you don’t want to say because then they have to give it back. Or if they gave them away to someone, if you give painting X by Artist Y to person whose organization you want to infiltrate you don’t want the information that painting X by Artist Y is owned by the CIA.

Ceci n’est pas un warrant

7 Likes

In the 1980s, “controversial Republican art collector” Vincent Melzac donated 29 abstract paintings from the Washington Color School to the CIA, which now hang on the Agency’s walls, but when asked for details about them, the CIA goes mum, claiming that the paintings are top secret.

So…no great loss then.

It could be worse.
It could be concrete paintings.

1 Like

They have reasons, it’s all explained here (some sections redacted for National Security purposes):

3 Likes

an artistic abstract art abstract

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.