Red Dead Redemption II's latest trailer reminds me which gaming console I'm supposed to buy

Yeah your mileage may vary, there are some new things to look for collectible-wise but gameplay itself hasn’t changed. For me the game was hugely important to me, i played it more than any other game and going back to the HD remake was really interesting to get to experience again and notice the changes. Likely something most people wouldn’t care about, still recommend it to those that missed out the first time around.

1 Like

That’s me if I get hold of RDR2.

“Here walks Peregrinus. Played RDR2 straight for 15 days, and was beaten to death by his wife and children. First man to walk after death, believed to be due to his determination and vigour.”

They’ve stated in an interview (making off video on Playstation’s channel, IIRC) that they strictly kept the original engine. Game is basically running a new rendering pipeline on top of the old game code, and that’s why the physics, AI and everything else feels the same - they ARE the same.

So, it’s a bit of a remaster and a bit of a remake.

2 Likes

It does though. A total rewrite would require almost as many people, and as much time, as making a whole new game from scratch. And then PC players would immediately pick holes in it “it doesn’t support 21:9”, “it runs at 60fps except for this one 10s period, I demand a refund” etc.
Or Rockstar could make the same amount of money by selling Shark cards for GTAV in, ooo, about five minutes.

So it’s not hard to see why they ignored RDR1 and have concentrated on RDR2, and that will be much easier to port to PC (if it’s not developed in parallel) because both the main consoles are basically little PCs now.

That’s John Marston (protagonist of the first game) there being held at knifepoint, about 1:45, isn’t it? Hurray!

Odd to see that the West is perpetually on its way of passing into legend in the RDR series. I thought that was the selling point of the last game? “Return to the end of legendary times . . . only earlier!” doesn’t quite have the same ring to it.

Also, given the mess that is GTA Online, I’m wary of Rockstar doing the same with RDR, shark cards and all.

Given how much money GTA V Online has been making them, and how well it is still selling to this day, you can be sure as hell that’s exactly the path they’re going to take RDR.

As a long time gamer, I knew I had some of the “graphics whore” still in me from back when I would get excited about Unreal Tournament or Doom 3 on the PC. When my husband I started watching some of the trailers showcasing the enhanced capability of the Xbox One X, including Red Dead, we immediately regretted getting a Switch last year. There is simply no comparison and I hadn’t realized what we were missing out on in terms of graphics and framerate capabilities.

Don’t get me wrong, the Switch has its charms - but after playing through Super Mario Odyssey exactly once, returning Kirby after two days via GameFly, and with Mario Kart gathering dust, the first-party games just haven’t delivered for us. We are still playing it for the indie games (Ironclad is a blast, and we’ve started trying to get out of prison in Escapists 2) - but many of them are cross-platform. We are hopeful for a rumored Castlevania-style game by its original creators, and Super Smash Brothers, but for the most part we’ve designed to start saving for a real next-gen console.

With that said, the PS4 seems like a good option, too (and our local pawn shop has them for $140…).

The first game is Red Dead Revolver. Which never made it to PC either.

If Red Dead Redemption was held back by shit show code. Despite other games with a similar problem being heavily recoded. Even rebuilt from scratch for re-release. Whether cross platform or just for the next gen of their home system. And Xbox basically requiring such work to back load some level of backwards compatibility at a certain point.

Then what was the issue with Revolver?

They released a game with code problems so bad they could never get it out there again? Didn’t learn from it? And did it again? But we should expect them to not do it a third time?

More over an HD-rerelease of revolver hit ps4 in 2016. And theres never even been a hint of a PC release for either.

Whatever the disinterest they have in porting the past games to PC it’s not as simple as “it’s hard”. And I wouldn’t expect that to change all the sudden.

You should consider playing The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild. Great game.

As for me, when I can afford it, I’m tempted to go for Bayonetta 2. A guilty pleasure of mine.

1 Like

I’ll be playing it on the One X. Right where I can play the original, only better, without having to buy a remaster ;-). I really think that the X is a better gamers platform for many reasons now (not so much at launch!) but platform exclusives do make me want to sample the other options from time to time. Not that I could slip my PS3 copy of The Last of Us into a PS4 though…

Thanks for the reply and the recommendation, which is spot on! Breath of the Wild is the single game we have put very much time into, as it is very open world and entertaining, but since we haven’t picked it up in several months, I had forgotten about it… that said, we haven’t finished it yet (stuck in the rotating camel puzzle, ha). It’s probably time to pick it back up.

We did try Bayonetta 2 through Gamefly, but it didn’t grab us like we hoped it would. Having a second switch and playing together would probably have changed that…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.