Red phone boxes in Yorkshire more likely to have non-phone uses now

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/27/red-phone-boxes-in-yorkshire-m.html

7 Likes

Some are used as time machines!

13 Likes

Assuming that not all of the phone boxes must stay in place, a box (with appropriate interior modifications) could be repurposed as a shower stall. I think that could work.

5 Likes

99% are also urinals.

20 Likes

13 Likes

No glory holes?

Right, too many windows. Never mind.

3 Likes

One of those would be useful so you could fit a full size library inside a phone box. As a bonus, if the book you want is out, you can just jump forward in time to when it is due to be returned.

6 Likes

Growing up in England I lived opposite a phone box. It was frequently vandalized, and a sport for local yobs (as they were known) was to try to kick out the windows with their Doc Marten boots, and see how high they could get.

1 Like

There are thousands of disused ones now in reclamation yards and scrap heaps. Grab yourself one.

_82523494_phones_renovated

_82522291_row

9 Likes

i love them, and i think reusing them is fantastic, but where does the guy who made one into a coffee shop wash his hands? i mean, there’s a global pandemic going on, for starters, let alone just basic food service hygiene…

3 Likes

The ones I’ve seen were mainly used as advertising space for call girl flyers.

4 Likes

I used to collect those flyers when I lived in London in the late '80s/early '90s.

I’m sorry I didn’t keep them. I still have the monthly Scala Cinema calendar posters from those times.

3 Likes

Yes, nothing like the scent of a sun-powered garish lavenders tier down in the time works really whacking you in the face as you find a blind corner for a casual sit-down Yorkshire wee. And when you get up a sprig pops into your hands to freshen up with.

How did he order water service for the espresso machine? Tinier bottles he walks in every morn? A Springwater Faery? Betcha he has a giant color FAX in for orders.

3 Likes

TIL about Inspector Spacetime. Thanks!

3 Likes

Damn it! You beat me to it!

3 Likes

Well, at least one of them made it as far as Vancouver BC in the 1970s. It was outside a bar on Denman St., and with the door closed it was very quiet inside. A good place to call a young woman from (as I was a young man then ): “You’re not outside that bar on Denman are you?” “Of course not! This is the payphone in the library!”

2 Likes

there’s a heavily Italian-themed pizzeria in Atlanta with one out front.
Pizzeria Napolitano. Italian tricolors hanging in front. Italian music pumped into the street. Red English phone box next to the front door.
still says “telephone.”
not “telephono”.
“telephone.”

I guess “east of the Atlantic, above Africa, west of the Urals” is close enough to Italy for Americans?

6 Likes

Smartphones have relegated iconic red British telephone boxes to things of the past…

Not really. They were largely superceded in the mid 1980s, well before mobile phones, never mind smartphones. It’s their successor which was made redundant by mobiles.

Many red boxes were kept in significant/picturesque locations (wiki says 8,000 are still in use) but they haven’t been a routine sight for a long time.

Apparently that’s quite common!

4 Likes

Ours were white:

6 Likes

Most of pone booths in Italy are red actually. In the 70s and 80s were yellow, and the few newer ones are unpainted aluminum.

1 Like