Take over a UK telephone booth for £1

Originally published at: Take over a UK telephone booth for £1 | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Lease one to the BBC as a promotion for Dr. Who; I’m sure someone has some blue paint somewhere

3 Likes

refreshed purpose for the community.

Jolly good then.

4 Likes

Bill and Ted: Far From Home?

(Where we find out how the mullet really got to 1st century AD Britain.)

3 Likes

We get coffee from our local one:

8 Likes

Ah, finally somewhere to store my collection of smutty novels…

6 Likes

Rawwww-theerrrrr!

1 Like

What What!

1 Like

Chim chim, shirry.

2 Likes

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6252-1378476303-22

3 Likes

Wrong kind of telephone box.

5 Likes

Hur!
Take it to the bridge!..
dompf…bup…bup…bup…bahhh…
Like a telecommunication machine!

3 Likes

In Australia many phone booths have been turned into wireless hotspots - which is way better than ripping them out - the prior fate of so many around the country.

2 Likes

they contained equipment such as an incident book.

I think they mean indecent book.

4 Likes

Even more useful would be to include a phone, for emergency use in case you don’t have a functioning/charged phone. You could use a strong steel cable to attach it to the box, and maybe some kind of coin drop arrangement to help monetize the service.

8 Likes

Are you saying as an american I can leases a phone booth in the UK?

Can I count a phone booth as a residence?
What if I convert the booth into a bed and breakfast?

I bet I can make at least 4 really bad videos of me trying to make the bed and breakfast thing work. 6 if I can find a cute girlfriend with a bootie.

One more thing how much of the area under and over the booth is included in the lease?

On the other hand maybe I will wait and see how bad brexit really is…

1 Like

By the time we find out how bad Brexit is, phone booths will be obsolete.

1 Like

I tried to pitch my show idea to the BBC, but I get a 404 error. They can’t find that page.

I guess by bed and breakfast in a booth show dies. Granted videoing would have to wait till after social distancing was lifted.

5f6030a1f764c889e9a8d84e261a6b5a

1 Like

Nope. And as a UK citizen you couldn’t either, unless the phone booth was on land you already owned anyway. Otherwise you need to be a Recognised local authority (e.g. District/Borough Council), a Parish/Community/Town Council or equivalent, or a Registered charity. (Capitalisation errors are due to laziness in copy/pasting).

In London you could probably ask for £1000 a month if you converted it into a flat.

3 Likes