Reddit mob threatens 16 year old girl coder with rape threats and abuse

If someone is threatening to rape a 16 year old girl, they need to be brought down. Even if it means authorities in different states communicating with each other. I know you don’t mean to suggest this shouldn’t be pursued because it’s too difficult.

I do not mean that. I am just stating the reality of what you are going to have to face.
If it crosses state lines (victim or perp) your local authorities have little incentive to do a serious follow up as it just is not in their jurisdiction and more time and effort than they have resources for. Same goes for getting the FBI involved.

4 Likes

My grandmother, who started her teaching career in a one-room schoolhouse, taught me to program on a Commodore PET when I was 5 years old (while teaching herself to program, too).

8 Likes

Mod note: I’ve removed a bunch of posts regarding body-shaming that have literally nothing to do with the topic at hand. Let’s not lower the level of discourse here when there are so many other ways already to denigrate the asshats who would honestly believe that threats of violence are ever appropriate against any teenager, especially one trying to break free of social stereotypes, prejudice, and misogynistic bullshit.

10 Likes

That’s fair.

How about completely removing the incendiary comment that started all the melee, instead of just greying it out?

2 Likes

True.

Not really. She’s not published papers or research that are pertinent to computer science. We’re not studying her in school. And we don’t have any theorems named after her. She’s certainly interesting from a historic viewpoint, but to say she got anyone started in programming is grossly overstating your case.

Grace Hopper developed techniques and tools that we use to this day in one form or another. And Adele Goldstine (née Katz) trained many programmers over the years, who eventually trained many of us. And of course Grete Hermann and her thesis that is still important for computer algebra.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.