Reddit's "misfits" dig in

We’re talking about subreddits getting banned for shaming fat people

No subreddit was banned for shaming fat people. fatpeoplehate and the others were banned for repeated violations of the “no posting personal information” rule. Reddit is perfectly fine with shaming of fat people.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that there are vociferous minorities that utilize vote brigading and sock puppets, etc. in order to only appear as a majority. Also, you have to factor in that people with no lives have a lot more spare time on their hands to manipulate voting, etc.

Digg had the same problem that helped their discourse go to shit:

I’m happy to see that Reddit is now aggressively going after these losers. If Digg had done it, I think it wouldn’t have found the need to “reinvent itself” with dumb format changes and eventually obliterate itself.

This is a fair point, but it is a significant evolution from “we never ban subreddits because FREEDOM” – hopefully more to come.

1 Like

I had a fun exchange with a FPH advocate on Reddit. (note: I’ve edited it to make myself look better, but you’ll get the gist)

FPH supporter: Fuck you.

Then leave Reddit and good riddance.

FPH supporter: … real good in peoples lives like /r/fatpeoplehate that actually make people healthier and motivate them

The reality of FPH:
https://np.reddit.com/r/changemyview/comments/39c0n3/cmv_reddit_was_wrong_to_ban_rfatpeoplehate_but/cs27yt4?context=3

Also this:

Fat shaming’ actually increases risk of becoming or staying obese

Here’s the reality of FPH (from that link above):

Edit: check out /r/hangryhangryfphater for FAR more evidence of FPH brigading and harassment than what I’ve just linked below*

FPH would often post pictures of random people they saw in public to shame them. Or they would cross post something from a sub like /r/skincareaddiction or /r/makeupaddiction and then harass the OP based on their looks. Or the one time a woman posted in /r/sewing about a dress she made and that got harassment. Or when a couple met over GTA5 and that got cross-posted.

Alright, let’s start linking actual examples of harassment and chronic toxicity that FPH has done.

Thread 1: An open letter to all the fat fats who may be lurking here…

Thread 2: Drama in /r/progresspics when OP’s pictures get crossposted to /r/fatpeoplehate.

Thread 3: /r/fatpeoplehate is mentioned in a video by youtuber Boogie2988. Brigade happens on a comment he made in the the sub yesterday about his face.

Thread 4: Big girl on r/unexpected is compared to a planet. Comments are apparently gatecrashed by redditors from r/fatpeoplehate .

Thread 5: Redditor from /r/sewing posts pictures of herself wearing her new dress. Someone cross-posted those pictures to FPH and a drama wave happen.

Thread 6: This is a thread where a FPH user celebrates his co-worker’s death

7: /r/fitshionvsfatshion: an entire sub dedicated to bullying how fat people dress and showing how it “should be done”

Thread 8: Here’s a post where a FPH user posts a dead woman’s photos to mock them

9: Here’s a sub they made to make fun of fat people at weddings

10: Two users met over GTAV, one of them was fat! This led to /r/FPH brigading the sub.

Thread 11: FPH brigades /r/suicidewatch and tells a suicidal redditor to kill himself.

There is no double standard. You can’t even begin to list examples of how SRS has harassed users to nearly the same degree (like the examples I’ve posted above). The worse they do on a regular basis is link to comments they disagree with and yell at them. The things they say are not nearly on the same level as what FPH did on a regular basis.

I believe you have a strawman view of what SRS is. Sure they’re loud and obnoxious, they’re disagreeable and often not open to debate… But If you ventured into the sub there is no possible way you could remotely compare them to FPH.

3 Likes

I don’t see why people are so anxious to make this a free speech issue. Harassment doesn’t deserve protection, since it actively harms other people. Why get bogged down in a debate over censorship when the point is to stop criminal behavior?

3 Likes

hopefully more to come

Sure. As long as they change their terms of use document first.

Is there really any value in engaging with people like this? I know one rule of discussion is

what evidence would you need to see to change your mind about this?

And you know, uh, good luck with that. I think a more realistic question is

do you think your opinion can ever evolve or become more nuanced on this?

So if I say something that a lot of people pay attention to (produce capital, in an attention-economy), I no longer have the right to decide what I say?

If the comments section of my personal blog, on a server I pay for, is popular - the commenters can tell me what to do?

Not even Harpo Marx would take you seriously.

Well, I do engage with you sometimes. :wink:

Anyway, yes, I think there’s some value in it — including catharsis along with debunking and building solidarity with others who read the exchange and relate.

what evidence would you need to see to change your mind about this?

And you know, uh, good luck with that. I think a more realistic question is … do you think your opinion can ever evolve or become more nuanced on this?

You’re not quoting me there — you’re barking up the wrong tree. That’s from that link. You’ll have to go badger that person on Reddit about their writing style. :smile:

On that note, the point is that after being exposed to FPH’s misdeeds, a lot of Redditors that were sitting on the fence came around to understand why it was a good idea to remove FPH. I read quite a few comments on Reddit to that effect.

Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.

2 Likes

this is just weirdly inconsistent,

Inconsistent, yes. Weirdly so, no.

One expects the gubmint to defend borders, and be polite to everyone. Neither of which is demanded of individuals.

Censorship is done by the government - you can’t escape it. But if I prohibit you from singing the Horst Wessel in my living room? That’s not censorship - you can go to somebody else’s living room (provided they haven’t already cottoned-on to you).

1 Like

That word doesn’t seem to mean what you think it is. It isn’t censorship unless the government does it. Otherwise it is “policing your own property.”

I know you disagree but so what? Reddit has the power to do this and has.

1 Like

So, if, say, a corporate-owned newspaper suppresses discussions of, say, Coca Cola doing bad things (heard about the SINALTRAINAL things, e.g.?) in order to not be punished by an expensive ad campaign being pulled from them, is it still “policing own property”?

E.g. Facebook is known for “disappearing” all sorts of links… Where is the line between “policing” and “censoring”? Is the strict separation of private-owned vs government action an open door for the govt to just let privatize everything, and then do backroom pressures on the corporations to push its agenda? Example, China - the corporations there have to toe the party line and suppress certain kinds of discussions. Is that policing or censoring?

4 Likes

It’s good that they’re only banning for doxxing.

Having all the subhuman rallying round one fixture on the internet is good for the rest of the internet, the same way #gamergate is a good hashtag.

Was it just 2 days or so ago that a steaming pile of hate was quickly identified as such on this forum thanks to being so so proud of their reddit persona that they used that username here?

Happens all the time too.

But there are limitations on that. As I noted above, a private business can’t ban people based on race, sexual orientation, gender, etc. That being said, that’s clearly not what reddit is going. They are acting on violations of community code of conduct (about time, too).

And this strikes me as something to think hard about, even if I agree that these reddits should be gone.

1 Like

Yep, and believe it or not, it’s something that has come up on /r/FatLogic. Fatlogic shut down voluntarily after the banning for a couple of days because they feared that FatPeopleHate idiots would come in, shit on the place, and they’d get banned.

As a recovering obese person, I couldn’t stand FatPeopleHate–it really was just about expressing hatred of fat people–but appreciate FatLogic because they get at the notion of “you can be 350lbs and be perfectly healthy” (no, you can’t) or “you have to cheat once in a while or your body goes into starvation mode” (it doesn’t, what the hell is “starvation mode”). They can get a little dickish, like their obsession over Tess Munster for a while, but overall it’s nice to be reminded that the weird fad “you’re just fine and perfect just the way you are” is no excuse to ignore your body telling you that, in my case, hey, you’re 40 years old but seem to be sicker than your 65 year old dad, maybe it’s your weight? Oh, hey, you notice how you felt better after dropping just a few pounds? Yeah, don’t celebrate by overeating.

Something tells me you’re not actually anywhere near as different from the people who got banned as you might want to believe, or at least portray yourself as, considering you still visit a subreddit with crossposts from harassing subreddits that attack and insult people.

You’re literally admitting to posting to a subreddit that claims it has “similar views” and is “allies” with a subreddit that routinely harassing and abuses CHILDREN for being gay, disabled, or black, and yet you want to portray yourself as better.

3 Likes

Funny you said that

3 Likes

Just reading that single letter makes me glad to never have setup an account with Reddit. The internet is the last bastion of the Wild West, but Reddit looks more like Lord of the Flies to me. Tribal warfare conducted by people who have the mentality of children. Kill Piggy! (Piggy being specific individuals they personally harass in every day life with the kind of shit that brings restraining orders and investigations. Honestly, I’m surprised I don’t hear more often about people actually getting in trouble with the law for their activities over there.)

2 Likes

To be fair, judging the whole of reddit by this is like judging the whole of thin internet by /b/. Yeah there’s some shit there, but I’ve had an account there just shy of 3 years and mostly keep to niche subreddits and have barely ever encountered harassment, and any that has been there has been dealt with.

2 Likes