'Redneck' comedian rants on NASCAR's Confederate flag ban

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/12/redneck-comedian-rants-on.html

14 Likes

What’s the rule (or is it a law?) about some things being so ridiculous that they’re just about impossible to satirize?

23 Likes

Bingo!
One of the things that sticks on my head from a visit to Oxford Mississippi was the kind gentleman who gave us walking directions to William Faulkner’s house was how he let us know which mansions were or were not burned down by the Yankees. All that went through my head was dude the war was over 100 years ago and you lost.

23 Likes

I like the PLAYBOY peaking out of the box behind him.

14 Likes

Almost all of 2020 then. Satirists have to eat. Buddy can you spare a pun?

3 Likes

The beard. The backwards ballcap. Truly, a great switcheroo.

“Their taking down the monuments in the park near my house, which I just found out about and suddenly care deeply about.”

Go you!

26 Likes

And the cremation urn. Somebody took the time to set the stage

3 Likes

Loved the coronavirus cough at the end…

11 Likes

Ah ha, that’s the one, thanks!

3 Likes

“Treason Rag,” oooh, that’s a goodie!

4 Likes

Meh.

But after watching this, youtube recommended to me this other video by another bearded guy in a another garage, who explains a few things I was not aware of, e.g. that the red flag with the blue cross is actually not the confederate flag but the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

I was looking at some tweets that were ostensibly angry about the NASCAR decision, but Poe’s law was in full force and I absolutely couldn’t tell which were were real and which were satire. Either way, they pretty effectively made fun of people who actually were upset with the decision though.

4 Likes

Yep, and the battle flag was square, even, unlike the supposed (modern) “confederate” flag, so still not the same thing. That square design also showed up in the later Confederate flags, but only as a section of them. (I like the second Confederate flag, that had that symbol in one corner but was otherwise all white - symbolizing white supremacy - so that when it hung limply, it appeared to be a white surrender flag. Real life foreshadowing!)

The whole “heritage not hate” argument falls completely apart given how much of this “heritage” (the fake flag, many confederate statues) actually only date back to the civil rights movement and, at the time, were explicitly symbols in opposition to it. The rest of the “heritage” consists of confederate statues erected during the early 20th century which were also explicit statements of white supremacy.

The guy in the video suggesting that people interested in heritage use the actual (first) Confederate flag rather undercuts his own argument with one of his other points - that the Confederacy only existed a few years. So why pick that moment of Southern history to venerate if it isn’t about the white supremacy and defense of slavery that were the explicit raison d’être of the Confederacy?

5 Likes

And the Confederacy only existed for four years. So all that storied “heritage” that the flag represents is from a span of time that was only half the length of the Obama administration.

14 Likes

Don’t forget in the south…

11 Likes
11 Likes

He missed a beat. He’s supposed to remind us the Civil War was over “states’ rights” and not slavery.

Redneck “comedian”, surely?

4 Likes

I was going to say, seems the quotes in the headline were around the wrong word.

2 Likes

A satirist, I’d say.

3 Likes