Regular says she was banned from eating at the bar at Manhattan's scammy Nello restaurant because she might be a sex-worker

I was actually looking for this very article when I saw that post but couldn’t remember where it was from.

ETA well, shit. It was linked here too. Point stands: time is hard.

3 Likes

i agree. in programming time and calendars are so hard to do right internationally. if you think you are doing it right you don’t know enough. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: the best you can hope for is f*cking up the least and relying on well established libraries or services that have the benefit of having a lot of users contributing to working out the issues.

even addresses and names gets really effed when you internationalize software.

3 Likes

well that’s a successful lawsuit waiting to happen.

1 Like

I sincerely hope Crawford sues Nello’s proprietor(s) under the Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (thanks @gracchus). Sexist discrimination is alive and well and business owners are waiting in the wings to get away with it. Allowing Nello to get away with it will embolden others as we’ve seen with other forms of bigotry gathering steam these past few years.

In the mean time, paging party of Streisand…

7 Likes

It sounds like the management was pissed that since she WASN’T a sexworker, she wasn’t kicking in a cut for the management.

Edited to add: On reflection, I suspect that the staff were in on the deal, but the owner wasn’t. Which is, I suspect why the owner instituted a “no women sitting at the bar,” rule.

3 Likes

Considering they are abbreviations of ante/post meridian and noon is the meridian, that’s true.

You’d think that he could have found a subtle way to clue her in on the situation in that case.

Perhaps PA announcements?

3 Likes

Ye gawds and little fishies. I thought “tables for ladies” went out in the late 50s

AM and PM are just fancy Latin abbreviations for “before noon” and “after noon”

Language is just the way people talk and most people understand 12 am to mean midnight, and therefore that is what it means, to the people who get bent out of shape by that sort of thing the answer is just “12 noon” or “12 midnight”. AM and PM are the times between those references but not including them.

1 Like

Are you sure you don’t want to throw the words “well, actually” in your comment, just for good measure?

11 Likes

No women allowed at the bar? Sounds like a safe place for Mike Pence to get a drink then.

2 Likes

harrison-ford-who-gives

4 Likes

This is why railway schedules don’t use them. They print the times as 12:01 or 11:59.

1 Like

I am trying really hard to give this clown the benefit of the doubt, asking myself, “if stopping sex workers from plying their trade is his real goal, is there a way to do it that doesnt discriminate against an innocent woman who wants to be left alone”?

And unless he’s a sworn police officer engaged in some kind of elaborate sting operation (that would have its own grave legal problems) I think the answer is still no. He can keep people from having sex on his property, but I dont think he can say diddly squat about what consenting adults do with their bodies or money offsite.

Saying that some people cant eat at the bar, while others can, is just another version of a “whites only” drinking fountain.

1 Like

one of my favorite things to do when I’m out of town is “take myself out on a date.”

As long as you’re not paying yourself for that “date”, sounds like you’ll be fine.

2 Likes

This is, strictly speaking, false. While some style guides suggest avoiding the terms “12:00AM” or “12:00PM”, such suggestions are just that: suggestions. Style guides bear no actual authority over the English language, and of course have no legal weight either.

Thus, it is incorrect to say that “There’s no such thing as 12:00AM”, just as it is incorrect to say that “irregardless” is not a word. If the term is broadly understood and communicates information to another English speaker, it’s valid.

2 Likes

I suspect it might have a little more to do with their reputation catching up with them.

The central scam here is that they don’t list or provide prices on anything. Some one walking by or who has just heard of Nello but nothing more specific than they’re famous comes in. Has a meal assuming reasonable prices. And gets handed a bill for thousands of dollars. When they balk, managers make threats and force walk them to an ATM.

It’s a classic bait and switch. But that’s no good for repeat business. And as the internet has become more dominant it’s really easy to find citations on how Nello is a scam. Their Hamptons location died like a decade ago.

So they’ve worked hard to generate a weird little following among the moneyed and unscrupulous. Hence the call girls. So that Nello can be famous as a place to be seen. Or as a place where old, rich, famous men have to go.

Banning women from the bar plays to that men’s club mentality. And stepping away from the sex workers cuts down on the legal risks when it’s become broadly known they’re a venue for that. And there’s a Nationwide crackdown on sex work and trafficking.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.