Relaxing botany tour of Death Valley features rare plants and crashed plane

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/02/relaxing-botany-tour-of-death.html

3 Likes

It’s all fun and games until Ricardo Montalban puts a ear wig in your helmet.

11 Likes

Horned Lizard, squeee!

5 Likes

Great Horny Toads! /Yosemite Sam

2 Likes

“…and coming upon our left, Mount…OH SHIT!”

Relaxing tour of wait, WHAT valley? I’m not sure ‘relaxing’ is the right concept here.

1 Like

I was trying to figure out what the plane was, from the shape of the tailfin, and it had at least one rotary engine - kind of ironic that an amphibious seaplane ends up in one of the driest places in the world!
Pity, the Albatross is one of my favourite planes, sad to see it lying there.

2 Likes

Wrong area & plane, but it still reminded me of Steve Fossett.

1 Like

Plane crashes around mountain ranges aren’t as uncommon as you may think. In the early 90s a friend and I stumbled across this Colorado wreckage near Jasper Peak. And there are more around that general area: https://rootsrated.com/stories/exploring-colorado-s-front-range-plane-wrecks

1 Like

The way that title read, I thought it was going to be one of this guys videos: Crime Pays But Botany Doesn’t (Love his videos fwiw. He has done several in Death Valley / the Mojave.)

3 Likes

That model of plane in its uncashed state. Very interesting. I think I saw one of these at the Pima Museum.

3 Likes

Hmmmm, plane crash? Death Valley? Cue the Zabriskie Point soundtrack!

4 Likes

Never knew that was a movie; worth a watch?
Also:

1 Like

And here we have a very fine example of Crashed Airplane (apparatus volitans argenteus naufragio).

3 Likes

There is a plan crash in the mountains near where I live. People go for walks to it all the time. It’s covered in graffiti now.

1 Like

One of the mountains on Moloka’i has an apparent tropism for planes; it’s accumulated a crash every few years. While Moloka’i is scenic, it’s prone to some abrupt weather and you want to be cautious around its terrain.

What was the golden fungus looking stuff on so many rocks? Was that GOLD!

Such a Fallout New Vegas vibe, I kept looking for Deathclaws.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.