Mysterious crashed plane found near Oklahoma airport with no pilot or passengers around

Originally published at: Mysterious crashed plane found near Oklahoma airport with no pilot or passengers around | Boing Boing

4 Likes
5 Likes

The story I am imagining in my head is that they were towing it on a trailer when a gust of wind broke it’s straps and it went flying off like a paper airplane.

22 Likes

This or something like it seems likely, though not as interesting as the theory that global warming has caused the Bermuda Triangle to shift inland and northward and cough up its ill-gotten gains.

24 Likes

Either D.B. Cooper Jr, or aliens are getting better at disguising their flying saucers.

10 Likes

Sorry, Xtians. God is much more discriminating than you thought about whom She raptures.

9 Likes

2oy5ia

13 Likes

So either someone took it out for a joy ride that wasn’t licensed - or it IS Oklahoma. Could have been blown there by a twister or high winds.

14 Likes

Okay, I’ll let ya’ll in on a little Kansas/Oklahoma secret. Some folks like to buy junker cars at auction and then fuck around with them on their own property to relieve boredom, like repeatedly crashing them into a tree. I wonder if someone decided to take to the air in the same spirit?

16 Likes

Or maybe someone was experimenting with autonomous flying vehicles, rescued their equipment after the crash, & left the wreck?

5 Likes

Being from the same area, this was my though exactly. Some rich asshole’s kid got a 30 pack of Busch light and found dad’s keys (airplanes have keys, right?).

5 Likes

Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not. No one could be THAT bored, could they?

When I had friends who did this, it was the 80s. Pre-internet.

But I don’t know what they’re doing now, unless it’s poorly raising tigers and other wild animals for show and profit.

11 Likes

*cringe

2 Likes

You never heard of “crash up derbys”? That didn’t appear out of thin air.

Yes - a lot of shenanigans are got up to in rural and small towns. There is no mall to shop lift some sunglasses from or movie theater to kill a couple hours at.

This is also why farm kids are worked from sun rise to sun set, so they are too tired to get up to much trouble.

6 Likes

**Just in time for Christmas - FRIENDS NOW HALF OFF!!!

**(Tiger not included.)

Aka “demolition derby”, and the leading cause of the extinction of the automotive species known as “old station-wagon”.

4 Likes

My first thought was “illegal dumping” but it’s pretty stupid to dump a plane near an airport where other flights would see it and spark an investigation.

But in America “stupid” sometimes means "hey, I got an idea. . . "

3 Likes

Fun fact - I have only seen one live, and it was when I was really little and I was upset because - it was illegal to crash your car!

Most kids my age would be like, “Yeah! Crash up the car!”

I was such a little rule follower.

3 Likes

Yeah but…demolition derby with airplanes? Yikes.

3 Likes