Florida man tries to steal a plane, but crashes into a pole instead

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/27/florida-man-tries-to-steal-a-plane-but-crashes-into-a-pole-instead.html

5 Likes

What’s the aeronautical version of a fender-bender? A wing-ding?

26 Likes

Florida man

Hey man, shouldn’t that be Florida Man?

Dude really knows how to find trouble! By this point I’m surprised he can still walk.

7 Likes

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC
Florida…

5 Likes

I don’t give any credence to the Video Games Makes People Violent storyline. Does playing too much Grand Theft Auto turn kids into murderous rampagers? No, of course not.

But does playing too much Grand Theft Auto make me think I could steal an airplane by just jumping in and holding down R2?

Absolutely

11 Likes

that makes me wonder if it wasn’t a failed attempt at terrorism. something along the lines of what happened in austin in 2010

( not a fan of that wikipedia title. :confused: )

6 Likes

You mean it’s not like in the movies where you scramble into the cockpit, flip a few switches, and are airborne?

Am disappoint.

(Question for any flight enthusiasts here: Doesn’t even the most basic beginner aircraft require a series of many steps to even get the engine started? I recall reading somewhere that even eliminating as many checklist items as possible if RIGHT NOW is the goal, startup still takes several minutes.)

3 Likes

“Plummer faces many charges, including burglary, grand theft, and “possession of a bulletproof vest while committing certain offenses,” according to NBC.”

The bit about wearing a bulletproof vest while committing offences, is that an offence in itself because it makes it harder for the cops to shoot somebody?

7 Likes

No person may possess a bulletproof vest while, acting alone or with one or more other persons, he or she commits or attempts to commit any murder, sexual battery, robbery, burglary, arson, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, kidnapping, escape, breaking and entering with intent to commit a felony, criminal gang-related offense under chapter 874, controlled substance offense under chapter 893, or aircraft piracy and such possession is in the course of and in furtherance of any such crime

i do think they’d be hard pressed to prove it “furthered the crime” but the criminal justice system does love to pile up the charges

5 Likes

Note to self, when absconding with hot air balloon do not wear armored jacket as ballast.

5 Likes

that’s what’s so ridiculous about these laws to me. no one thinking to crime is saying to themselves: “ah, i’m going to leave the vest at home because i only want to be in prison 35 years not 45 years.”

it’s never a deterrent.

go after the manufacturers if you really don’t want people to have something like this. but they won’t because the gop has spent decades telling people to gear up for their second amendment cosplay

8 Likes

Won’t someone think of the profits! /s
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Couple of points: The guy has sever acholic issues. As he bent the prop and damaged the wing it’s going to be an expensive fix. It’s the third aircraft incident in SW FL in the pas two weeks.

Warms the heart to know this gentleman owned the vest and bullets and gun and made such sound and logical decisions. Poster child for the movement !

2 Likes

spoiler alert

this should have happened the end of the latest Indiana Jones movie.

2 Likes

jeebus christ! dad’s drunk again!

1 Like

Yes, and instead of a pilot, they call them “ding bats”.

1 Like

True, for those heists, I reserve my top hat and dinner jacket.
aroundtheworld-preview

5 Likes

Hm, I did that over and over again in Far Cry 6.

1 Like

All things considered, this is an acceptable outcome.

2 Likes