Relic of the 80s: The Call's 'Let the Day Begin'

Originally published at: Relic of the 80s: The Call's 'Let the Day Begin' | Boing Boing

1 Like

Let the day…

2 Likes

start.

4 Likes

this song was so much cooler before it was used in al gore’s 2000 presidential campaign.

1 Like

Yeah, but at least Al Gore was allowed to use it, as opposed to all the republicans that use music then are told not to by the artists that made it.

ETA: Also, I prefer to refer to it as Joe Lieberman’s failed vice-presidential campaign

2 Likes

I didn’t know, until years after seeing Last Temptation, that this same guy played John the Apostle:

But I’m showing my rather deep ignorance regarding The Call, because I didn’t even know this was by them until just a few years ago (even after hearing it since around the time it came out):

ETA: And the other Last Temptation connection is that The Call (or some subset thereof) was the backing group for Harry Dean Stanton, who did a singing tour way back in '88 or '89. I am still kicking myself for not seeing him at The Cactus Cafe at UT-Austin. (And it’s weird how I know these details while, as I mentioned, not being as familiar as I oughta be with the band’s music.)

3 Likes

I absolutely love the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club cover of this

I’ve been a huge fan of The Call since I first heard The Walls Came Down off their Modern Romans album.

“I don’t think there are any Russians
And there ain’t no Yanks
Just corporate criminals
playin’ with tanks”

I bought all their albums as they came out and have two compilation CDs - one of which I listened to on a trip to Minnesota a week and a half ago.

This post made me go look online and I came across the fact that they have just released a book about the band. Just ordered a copy.

And here is an excellent site with lots of information (videos, lyrics, interviews, etc).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.