Relive 1990s Eurodance with this spot-on parody video

Originally published at: Relive 1990s Eurodance with this spot-on parody video | Boing Boing

4 Likes

You can’t parody stuff like that. You’ll only end up doing stuff like that.
Which, admittedly, can be great fun.

12 Likes

5 Likes

Intro air-raid siren, check.
Infectious Eurodance beat, check.
Lyrics written by ChatGPT, translated into several different languages, and then back to English, check.

I for one can’t wait for my future AI overlords to create endless streams of cheesy Eurodance to placate me.

7 Likes

Definitely has the Festrunk Brothers (“Two Wild and Crazy Guys!”) from SNL vibe. Or the euro trash sound you can still catch in Montreal.

1 Like
3 Likes

Um… no. I was a European DJ in a European city in 1999 and you would have never heard anything like that from me.

That’s ski/package holiday music. Heavily based on Belgian music from about a decade before that.

9 Likes

I was making pickles to a 90’s dance playlist just this weekend, and yeah, these folks nailed it, but… why?

2 Likes

Because it’s on trend.

However, Gordon’s spoof has also been boosted by its loose musical similarity to the ongoing onslaught of ’90s-inspired dance bangers. In fact, the comedian’s announcement that a “full song” version of ‘Planet Of The Bass’ is coming on August 15 surely proves we’ve reached peak ’90s rave revival. One of this year’s biggest hits is ‘Miracle’ by Calvin Harris and Ellie Goulding, a retrobanger inspired by ’90s trance and Eurodance that racked up eight weeks at Number One. ‘Miracle’ has proved so popular that Harris has teamed with Sam Smith for another trance tune, ‘Desire’, which is expected to crack the Top 20 this week.

2 Likes

I was not aware of the resurgence; well then! Everything old truly will become new again, I suppose.

1 Like

I hope this sparks younger people to check out 90s euro dance and then that turns into a revival and also leads to a UK Big Beat revival.

ETA - While sorta a parody, it isn’t bad, actually.

2 Likes

It also has a bit of early-mid 90s Ultra-Sonic in there.

6 Likes

So - uh - do you know Praga Khan?

3 Likes

Give me Zlad!

“Prefer for downcount!”

1 Like

Dance Party Dancing GIF

4 Likes

Their visual style in their TikTok clips vaguely reminded me of these guys (albeit day vs. night):

1 Like

This. Thank you.

Its basically this:

1 Like

The only thing this statement reliably indicates is that you took the wrong amount of drugs while you were at it.

4 Likes