REM: watch very early live footage from 1982 concert

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/08/14/rem-very-early-live-footage-f.html

1 Like

Ew…no.

aww, they were so young. great stuff. michael stipe was so energetic!

6 Likes

When it was called College Music

9 Likes

The fun thing about VHS is that you sometimes got unanticipated, random bonus tracks:

35:15 [cover] What’s New Pussycat (Burt Bacharach/Hal David, ©1965 United Artists)

45:16 Syracuse’s Rafael Addison and “Pearl” Washington defeat the Connecticut Huskies 73-58 in the1984 NCAA Quarterfinals (NBC)

47:12 Arguments against the promotions of SU Col. Messen.

Woo!

2 Likes

And when I was in college! I lived in Hoboken, where they were regulars at Maxwell’s. They used that Man Ray metronome thing on their photocopied posters. Good times!

5 Likes

Awesome to see them so young, thank you!

3 Likes

I saw #REM play in a cafeteria at Southern Illinois University in 1982 for $3.00. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was just starting the third grade when this was shot. I started getting into music my freshman year of high school, which is when Green came out. That was their first major-label record and they were transitioning into world-wide superstars. I like Green but for me the IRS albums are where it’s really at. As everyone else is noting, sheesh they’re young.

1 Like

Sorry, Canada.
These guys are so much better than The Tragically Hip.

3 Likes

My memory of Maxwell’s from the mid 70s are of a neighborhood bar. It wasn’t unusual that dads or families might have a kid or three with them in Hoboken bars back then.

1 Like

A time where REM was just about the only new band that appealed to hippies.

1 Like

It now sounds strange to say it, I guess because of the way scenes and the meaning of words shift over time. But looking back, the truth of it is inescapable. Even from my comparatively young perspective, I remember the hippie influence and crossover into the bohemian or nascent “alternative*” scene that I inherited. There was a lot of woven, Central-American-patterned fabric being worn, Kerouac books being passed around. Things like that.

Peter Buck is very much on record that his guitar sound is predicated on the Byrds

During the 1980s, Buck’s “economical, arpeggiated, poetic” style reminded British music journalists of 1960s American folk rock band The Byrds.[144] Buck has stated “[Byrds guitarist] Roger McGuinn was a big influence on me as a guitar player”,[145] but said it was Byrds-influenced bands, including Big Star and The Soft Boys, that inspired him more.[146]

[^from REM wikipedia] This excerpt itself provides another example of how the hippie scene was filtered into the next generation through other bands.

*(I dislike the use of the word “alternative” but do use it for the sake of brevity)

I didn’t discover Chronic Town and Murmur until around 2002. Whatever those albums meant in the 80’s, for me they instantly take me back to springtime, driving around playing this “outdated” music at a ridiculous volume.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.