Remember Sea Monkeys? Then you'll love Dinoflagellates

That’s neat, but I didn’t really mean a balanced ecosystem where there a bunch of different organisms to keep nutrients cycling. This looks to be more of a single- or few-species culture and those really do only last so long.

As far as that goes, it’s nice to see the nutrients @daneel found, and that also answers the question; these live a few months before they need more. People often do say something “doesn’t need feeding” when they really mean it just takes a long time to die off; I was thinking of the beautiful but sad sea angel aquaria they sell now.

4 Likes

Screw sea monkeys and dinoflagellates!

TRIOPS FTW!

7 Likes

Ah, very true about the single-species thing.

I’d never seen a ‘sea angel’ before! Very cool creature!

5 Likes

Dinoflagellates coming out of their whatever.

2 Likes

Bet he’s able to find his keys in the dark. And in slightly more demand during power outages.*

(* Because the light is better wherever he is.)

2 Likes

Ummmmm… what the fuck?

5 Likes

But the wording is all inclusive! There’s no implication of the gender of the dinoflagellate owner or of the gender of the cute coworker! What’s to object to? Unless you believe that coworkers shouldn’t have any romantic connections, which is frankly absurd.

1 Like

It is, at the very least, a weird way to promote this product…

New from the Boing Boing store, loaded syringes of sufentanil!

Lure that cute co-worker to your desk with your Dinoflagellates and then close the deal every time!

5 Likes

mine never hatched!

1 Like

It worked at my standing desk with that cute saucer-eyed near-transparent contractor, and By Queens if he keeps swallowing them he’ll be at my desk when it’s a gypsy chair with oxygen in 100 years. I’m one of those eternal spring long now chums and I have the archives of everyone’s known-good gut and skin biomes to prove it.

9 Likes

Despite what the article said, don’t leave them out in the sun. The heat will cook them.

How about Aqua Dragons?

3 Likes

Sea monkeys for the wealthy?

3 Likes

What happened to the “I don’t care whose toes I step on” headline?

You’ll never need to add anything or change out the water inside, just leave the Dino Sphere out in the sun to let the dinoflagellates do their photosynthetic duty.

That’s a little hard to believe. I mean, you can’t build a cell wall, a DNA molecule or a protein out of sunbeams. They’re a little lacking in carbon and nitrogen. And unless they are immortal, when they die, then what? Are you saying there is an entire functioning ecosystem in there? That’s not impossible. I’ve seen such things before but if so it must have more stuff than dinoflagellates.

2 Likes

Are you crazy? Angler fish would make for the coolest aquarium ever.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.