Remembering Kirsty MacColl on the anniversary of her death

Originally published at: Remembering Kirsty MacColl on the anniversary of her death | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Obligatory:

12 Likes

Beautiful version.

I still think these-

“I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them, but they were only satellites
It’s wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you’d care”

-are some of the best lyrics ever written

16 Likes

Thanks so much for this. I discovered Kirsty’s music by accident while crate digging in the early 2000s, and her whole catalog got played at our house on heavy rotation for years. I decided that her work was important enough in my life to put out Us Amazonians - A Kirsty MacColl fanzine in 2013. It’s been reprinted a couple of times, and was one of the more fun projects I worked on.

2 Likes

What a talent! I still listen to her music regularly. Among my favorites is her version of “Miss Otis Regrets” from the Red Hot + Blue album.

4 Likes

Since @NukeML beat me to the bestest x-mas song… :wink:

And… with Evan Dando of the Lemonheads…

3 Likes

My wife and I love her music. Angel, In These Shoes, Can’t Stop Killing You, Treachery and more.

However, while I really love the song Bad, I’m not too sure about the gleam in my wife’s eyes when she sings along with

“And I’ve had my eyes on that carving knife
Oh, you’ve been lucky so far”

Yikes.

3 Likes

Much love to Kirsty MacColl - her loss is our loss. On a weird side note, this is also Billy Bragg’s birthday.

3 Likes

Since you beat me to those…

Heavy rotation on Coast 800 / 1040 back in the day. Lamenting Kirsty and that that radio station didn’t make it. Whole new world of excellent music. Thank you to all involved in that short lived era for it saved my soul.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.