Remembering Robin Williams, cinema's Rorschach test

[Permalink]

1 Like

I appreciated the piece; please go through and proofread it! It’s never too late; it’s full of typos and unfinished sentences.

10 Likes

There’s a problem with the article’s film chronology. The Fisher King was made in the early 1990s (not late '80s) and came out after Keaton’s batman.

1 Like

For some reason, I never thought of Williams as a film actor. He was always a standup comedian trying to find his niche in Hollywood. Steve Martin found it, but Robin Williams never really did.

It gives me even more respect for Dave Chappelle, and his unorthodox self-intervention. Don’t give the audience all of you, you’re gonna need some for yourself!

1 Like

Really? If you go strictly by number of actor film credits then Williams actually outdid Martin by almost 2 to 1.

When I think of Robin Williams invariably one of his film roles pops into my head. I think one of my very favorite scenes is in The Bird Cage when William’s character is with his son’s to-be inlaws and Albert comes in the door pretending to be his wife. The look on Williams face does this fantastic morph from horrified to almost celebratory (not the right word but I can’t think of the right word) when he realizes Albert is pulling it off.

When I think of Steve Martin invariably I think of his early standup stuff (which was fantastic, by the way).

2 Likes

It’s an interesting point and he’s a really interesting celebrity. I was shocked and saddened when I heard the news, yet when all the media outlets started paying tribute to him with lists of his achievements in cinema, it struck me that I really didn’t like much of his movie work at all and tended to find it all mawkish (pardon the pun) and overly sentimental (that’s just a personal opinion, I know it is well regarded both generally and critically).

I’m left wondering why I liked him so much! I guess I grew up with Mork and Mindy, and since then he was always such an electrifying presence wherever he appeared, I just assumed I was a fan. I still think I am a fan, just not of much of his actual work… if that makes sense.

2 Likes

A suicide always seems to make people say “they failed at life” and inspires people to recast every life event of the subject as potentially part of the the problem even when any objective measure shows that it was the depression/mania/addiction/whatever that was the real culprit.

2 Likes

Yeah. I found Robin Williams the man very funny, but other than The Fisher King I really can’t think of many films that he did that I liked, for the same reasons as you. I did appreciate his performance in One Hour Photo and I’m going to try Insomnia. I think I liked Garp but it was so long ago I wouldn’t say my opinion of that is worth much. Maybe I should try Dead Poets’ Society again too, perhaps that caught me on a bad night.

1 Like

I don’t know why this film isn’t getting so much mention in the articles I am reading, but I most liked him in Awakenings.

3 Likes

Wow, I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed that. So much more fun that Patch Adams, I thought.

What Dreams May Come is the movie I loved him most in. That’s the character I’m choosing to say goodbye to.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that one, I don’t think. Will look it up on my Netflix.

1 Like

I have to say that Popeye was one of my favorite films growing up.

It’s perfect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.