Remembering the many lessons of Aaron McGruder's "The Boondocks"

Originally published at: Remembering the many lessons of Aaron McGruder's "The Boondocks" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I quote the

'Excuse me. Everyone, I have a brief announcement to make. Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the government is lying about 9/11. Thank you for your time and good night."

speech all the time. The funniest part is that Huey expects these truths to cause a riot among the white people, but they only comment on how “well spoken” he is.

Congrats on nailing the best episodes. The only one missing is where Bob Ross helps Riley with his graffitti.

8 Likes

I enjoyed the comic strip before it became an animated show. It was funny, poignant, and steeped in near equal parts of political and pop culture commentary and homages to pop culture.

1 Like

Nah, I have Bob Ross and Riley in third place. My faves included Catcher Freeman, Jazmine’s Christmas sermon, and for misogyny it’s gotta be “Guess Hoe’s Coming to Dinner.”

4 Likes

I was lucky enough to attend the University of Naryland when Boondocks was just a strip in the college paper. I didn’t realize it at the time, but it was the golden age of cartooning in Maryland. Along with Aaron McGruder, there was Frank Cho (Liberty Meadows and Marvel comics) and Jeff Kinney ( Diary of a wimpy kid).

3 Likes

My favorite lesson from Boondocks was; People who steal stuff are cool until they steal your stuff.

“Thank You for Not Snitching”
Season 2, Episode 3

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.