Buddy Hackett tells Johnny Carson three jokes

Originally published at: Buddy Hackett tells Johnny Carson three jokes | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Oh man, I remember my dad’s friend telling me this joke when I was in, I dunno, 4th or 5th grade.

5 Likes

Now imagine him applying that timing and delivery to the filthiest joke you can imagine. That’s where comedy fans say he really shined.

14 Likes

That was brilliant. Hadn’t seen that before. I might do a version of that for my partner and daughter, see what they think

2 Likes
10 Likes

Sadly they have tested for covid but all of us are doubled vaxed and boostered up in Durham, UK here. They’re ok. I’m clear so far.

1 Like

When I resided in Hollyweird for a short time, I had a neighbor that had old 16mm sound films of classic comedy routines, Buddy Hacketts were the best, and the raunchiest as well to the point of being filthy. I rolled off my chair many a time.

9 Likes

“Not even with a prescription!”

4 Likes

I can’t quite quote the whole “Who’s on First?” routine from memory, but it’s not because of a lack of listening to the cassette.

4 Likes

There’s an urban legend that once while on the Tonight Show, Hackett did “The Aristocrats” to the audience during a commercial break. When they cut back from comercial he delivered the “The Aristocrats!” punchline, right on cue. I’ve heard interviews with other comedians who say Hackett’s version was legendary.

10 Likes

his episode of Cavett was on recently. he said that he started in conventional comedy but at some point told a somewhat-dirty-for-the-time joke in his regular act which was so well received he went “blue” full time.
this is the joke as told on Letterman :

I’d wager most of us first heard Cheech and Chong’s variation of it in Up In Smoke.

3 Likes

Or this version, subsequently recreated as a commercial.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.