Mike Huckabee repeats joke twice to elicit laughs from elderly all-white audience

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/17/mike-huckabee-repeats-joke-twi.html

3 Likes

He’s still alive?

16 Likes

What’s next, Huckabee, a joke about torturing and killing a dog?

Stop trying to make “funny conservatives” happen. It’s not going to happen.

23 Likes

“Conservatives” lack the humanity and pathos necessary to create comedy.

19 Likes

He’s like a really old Louis CK but instead of screwing himself in front of people he wants to screw over those old folks’ medicare and health coverage in front of them instead

9 Likes

But Sarah assures him he’s funny. See? She’s laughing.

27 Likes

Was this some kind of live broadcast? Surely this sort of thing is regularly magicked away in the editing room on other comedy shows? I would suspect he’s made enemies on the production staff.

6 Likes

9 Likes

He’s been alive this entire time…hiding right in front of you.

I’m telling you…no one has EVER seen them in person together. EVER.

7 Likes

”Laugh, damn you! Or the next time I talk to my friend Jesus, I’ll make sure he knows how unhelpful you’re all being. You! Ethel! You’re a mouse fart away from meeting him in person! I want belly laughs out of you for the rest of the night or so help me I’ll come back there and stand on your oxygen line.”

12 Likes

Reminds me of Jeb Bush asking his audience to clap.

17 Likes

I never understood why Jon Stewart kept having Huckabee on The Daily Show and why he was so nice to him.

3 Likes

Mike who?

2 Likes

Huckabee?! I’m allergic to 'em!

5 Likes

Came to say that! Hip conservatives FTW!

2 Likes

Yeah, WTF was this, and who thought it was a good idea?

Reinforced by a look at his attempts to make jokes on Twitter. It’s all attacks and insults, cruel and dehumanizing “humor” at the expense of others, and none of it is the least bit funny.

14 Likes

Every time I see a republican “comic”, it seems that they never go after content or argument, they just engage in ad hominem.

7 Likes

If you ever saw Fox’s short-lived “Half Hour News Hour” you’ll be familiar with forced laughter from people whose idea of humor is somewhere along the lines of Nelson Muntz saying “stop punching yourself”; the jokes don’t have to be funny, they primarily have to belittle and dismiss the other side.

9 Likes

He can’t even get the Laff-o-Tron 1950™ to laugh at it.

You know I think a lot of conservatives miss the part about comedy where the comic uses common and relatable stresses of life to make people laugh at their own troubles. They see it as “one of them complaining” so then they expect everyone to laugh and relate to their complaints. But their complaints usually really aren’t very easy to relate to for most people. Very few of us, for instance, are actually angry straight rich white elderly men with strong regressive social views. Also wit is rare and usually biases you towards objective reality.

6 Likes