Throwback video of Daily Show's response to Anti-Asian "comedy" piece on Fox News

Originally published at: Throwback video of Daily Show's response to Anti-Asian "comedy" piece on Fox News | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Still relevant, and let us pause a moment to savor that Bill O’Reilly is gone, even though in retrospect his brand of assholery feels second string to the shit going on now. Reich-wing power is festering and feeding on itself in ways we couldn’t even imagine then.

26 Likes

Can we just start calling it Faux News yet?

26 Likes

Whatever happened to “comedian” Jesse Waters. Wait, who cares?

9 Likes

:joy: great segment!

3 Likes

In Chinese:

“How do you know so much about American politics”

In English:

“I’m from queens!”

:rofl:

My first thought as well.

14 Likes

Some have been doing that since the 90s. I used to own the t-shirt!

cecily strong weekend update GIF by Saturday Night Live

14 Likes

I personally prefer Pox News

8 Likes

I will have to listen to later, but Ronny Chieng is hilarious. His bit about people threatening to mess up his mom’s computer gets me rolling every time.

3 Likes

I’m glad you put “comedy” in quotes in the headline; not just because it isn’t funny, but it isn’t really intended to be comedy. It’s bullying, and they know what they are doing. They are trying to demean and humiliate people who can’t fight back, and by extension the groups they belong to. The Fox psychology, and most of the modern Republican party’s, is to act like a bully, and try to recruit others to join in their bullying. It is the behavior of the weak- and small-minded.

But that last bit by Ronnie Chieng left me in stitches… :rofl:

5 Likes

Jay Leno made the news this week by publicly apologizing for his many years of unfunny jokes poking fun at Asian people, stating he “knew it was wrong” and did it anyway.

Predictably conservatives are now furious at Leno for having the gall to admit his jokes were bad.

15 Likes

I thought it was interesting and ironic that on his guest appearance on The Simpsons he was the one cringing at Krusty’s racist “Me so solly” bit:

5 Likes

That’s the clip that comes to mind for me every time I hear some comedian complain that political correctness/wokeness/etc. has ruined comedy. If you can’t get laughs anymore it’s not because you’re not allowed to be funny, it’s because society’s idea of “funny” has evolved while you’ve stayed behind.

11 Likes

I actually don’t think it’s as calculated as you imply. I think when Turmp and similar personalities do these “jokes”, they genuinely think it’s the same as comedy, because they don’t realise that laughter is not the same thing as baring one’s teeth.

7 Likes

True enough. I think some people actually have a deformed or maldeveloped funny bone. Whether it’s nature or nurture, I don’t know.

The Rest of the World would like to know what’s going on…

4 Likes

Me too!

But that literally is right-wing “comedy” now. With a heavy dose of “irony” that hides that they do, in fact, mean what they’re saying, but if you found it too outrageous, it was “just a joke.”

8 Likes
12 Likes

How about calling it Fox Propaganda?

3 Likes