What killed the Boondocks reboot?

Originally published at: What killed the Boondocks reboot? | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The Boondocks broke a lot of new ground. We must not allow it to be the last of its kind. These stories need to be told.

14 Likes

Thanks. For those that need a TL;DW - video speculates on possible reasons, but ends up saying it’s because Sony killed the reboot.

11 Likes

The death of one of the main character voice actors couldn’t have helped it much.

11 Likes

I didn’t know they were trying to do another season/reboot of it :confused:

I used to read the comic strip and loved the show (at least the 3 seasons where Aaron McGruder headed it.)

4 Likes

Bad writing, maybe?

I used to love the Boondocks, but S4 wasn’t funny at all, IMO; just cringey a/f.

3 Likes

I was lucky enough to go to the University Of Maryland along with Aaron McGurder. It must have been the golden age of University comic strips since along with “Boondocks”, we had Frank Cho’s “Liberty Meadows,” and Jeff Kinney’s (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) “Igdoof.”

6 Likes

Speaking in my official capacity as a white dude, I feel the original comic went off the rails towards the end as well. It stopped telling stories and became one long angry rant from a single character. Aaron McGruder had reasons to be angry, of course, but still.

2 Likes

*chucklez

I can believe it.

Damn straight that McGruder has good reason to be angry, but when your creations are no longer funny, they lose their impact.

Becoming a bitter bitch after one achieves great fame and success is never a good look; see the likes Dave Chappelle and Dennis Miller…

6 Likes

Regina King’s brilliance finally being recognized probably drove up her asking price, too. But you can always recast for an animated series. And some companies are super willing to do so.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.