Weeds' Justin Kirk thinks the rumored Weeds reboot is a bad idea

Originally published at: Weeds' Justin Kirk thinks the rumored Weeds reboot is a bad idea | Boing Boing

1 Like

Kirk did an amazing job on Succession the other night as the fascist candidate for President. The delivery of the speech struck just the right balance between dangerous smoothness and the bilious derangement that bleeds through the hatemonger’s facade.

1 Like

I think I agree. Love the characters so much but their story had fully resolved. This isn’t a generational crime family, these are people that had a wild few years.

4 Likes

Weeds, like so many other shows that were once good, went off the rails after the 5th season.

At the end, the writing was awful, implausible, and it ended up making the main character, Nancy Botwin, highly unlikeable and unrelatable.

6 Likes

I think that’s around when I bailed on the series. I recall being shocked at how quickly it went from being one of my favourite shows to something I had no interest in.

Doubt I’d watch a reboot.

5 Likes

Alas, I watched until the very underwhelming end.

In fact, it was shows like Weeds that made me decide that I don’t do ‘sunk costs’ anymore when it comes to watching a series. If it starts to get bad, I’m bailing.

I recall being pretty vexed.

Then after what Jenji K did to Orange is the New Black, I decided I was done with her projects for good as well; she has some good ideas for interesting stories, but horrible execution past the second season.

6 Likes

Yeah, probably. I was mainly thinking in terms of my fav infographic:

I know I hung in there for far too long, regardless of the actual tipping point.

Never again, and that includes half assed reboots.

4 Likes

I guess I’m in the minority in really liking the entire run of Weeds. I loved every minute of that show.

For me, Nancy’s descent into unlikeability and dragging her family into chaos was the point of the show. It was, like Breaking Bad after it, a cautionary tale of how bad it can get when you continue to double-down on bad decisions all the way down the rabbit hole. She ends up ruining her family, losing all her friends, even alienating all her criminal associates, all in the name of justifying her very first decisions following her husband’s death. It’s like a gambler trying to undo all the damage with one last big win.

I think this story line was culturally significant as well, because here was a female lead who was allowed to be flawed. She made bad decisions, she was frequently selfish, she was impulsive, she wrecked her family, and she was also sex-positive to boot. These were all things female leads on TV weren’t allowed to do or be in the 2000s. If you had a woman at the top of your cast, she had to be perfect.

All that said, no way I’d be on board with a reboot. The show lived and died on Mary-Louise Parker’s unstoppable radiance, and I can’t see a reboot catching that magic again.

4 Likes

Heresy!

Point taken that it was supposed to be a cautionary tale; but the writing went from ‘good’ (S1-S2) to ‘okay’ (S3-S4) to FUCKING AWFUL (S5 on).

You saw a strong female lead who was allowed to be flawed, I saw White Privilege extrapolated to a ludicrous degree.

And that still would have been okay, if the high quality of the writing had been maintained. It was not, IMO. JK started phoning it in, and it was obvious to me.

Whereas the writing in BrBa remained excellent throughout not only it’s entire run, but also through a whole other spin off and a movie.

/end rant

2 Likes

that similar to the substance from which the show derives its name, Weeds was the gateway drug

Boo. Go peddle your D.A.R.E. propaganda elsewhere!

Gateway, my eye!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.