Remembering the time Henry Rollins eviscerated Bill Maher

Originally published at: Remembering the time Henry Rollins eviscerated Bill Maher | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Welp… @orenwolf?

10 Likes

Bill Maher Actually Right For Once Shocker

9 Likes

7:05

13 Likes

“Rollins’ response that may just be the most intelligent and considered of them all. He’s not just a pretty face!”

I’ve always been impressed by Rollins as an entertainer and being a generally decent person, by all accounts.

16 Likes

thank you!

Weirdly, Kennedy is making some good points there too…

But yeah… Maher’s an asshole.

14 Likes

I don’t know if the rest of the panel was just off their game or being overly deferential to Maher or what but there are so many reasons his position on that case was just fucked up… for example they didn’t even touch on the inherent power imbalance in a relationship between an adult middle school teacher and one of her students.

8 Likes

These days sure, but Rollins was famously a dick in his younger years (he says as much himself and has apologized for it). His old interview with Nardwuar was really hard to watch.

On the other hand, Maher has always struck as a smarmy vain guy. I bet he loves hearing the sound of his own voice.

9 Likes

That makes a big difference. Reasonable people apologize. Assholes make excuses or double down on bad behavior.

Maher never apologizes or even acknowledges bad behavior

14 Likes

thanks, came looking for this! @beschizza can you link this within the article? thanks!

5 Likes

To be fair, it seems pretty easy to eviscerate Bill Maher. What little I’ve seen from him consisted of tissue-thin arguments that are often little more than “I feel like [contrarian position].”

2 Likes

I know who shouldn’t be allowed alone with 14 year old girls, Bill.

9 Likes

I’ve replaced the embed.

The Maher thing I always remember is when he was on one of the late night shows and they were talking about similar matter and he piped up with something to the effect of it being worse for a little boy to be bullied at school by peers than to be “gently masturbated by Michael Jackson.” The host ended the interview early and it was all a bit of a controversy. But the thing is, the thing that I think really gets to the heart of what ‘political incorrectness’ is really about, is that Michael Jackson was in fact brutally sodomizing them.

3 Likes

Aside from that being incredibly wrong and gross, so is its not being edited out by airtime.

It’s also for me another clarifying example of how Maher’s schtick is, yes, basically “edgy contrarian.”

Hey now, listen to THIS daring hot take!

3 Likes

Well done to the panel for speaking up; specially Henry Rollins. Jeez, Maher is a sack of shit; I expect he’d get on well with Peado Guy.

Here’s a bit of a unicorn chaser.

2 Likes

We had high hopes for her back in the day.

Monkey Reaction GIF by Justin

4 Likes

Right? Even the segment after, when they were talking about the KKK, she was taking a zero tolerance stand to the KKK and fascism. I was watching that thinking, “What the hell happened to her between then and now?” She’s just as bad as Maher, now. Maybe worse.

5 Likes

Henry Rollins is a very intelligent, thoughtful, insightful, funny guy. If you haven’t heard any of his spoken word albums, they are definitely worth listening to. Think Tank has fantastic stories and anecdotes in particular.

I saw one of his spoken word performances a decade or so ago and it was amazing. He spoke non-stop for three hours. None of the material I’d heard before, but I was completely engaged the entire time. He’s up there with George Carlin in my book, and I’m really glad I got to see Rollins in person.

9 Likes

Saw him speak for a couple of hours recently, and he’s still talking literally non stop the entire time. Not even a cup of water up there. Guy’s fucking relentless, and a hell of a person to boot.

4 Likes

Too bad only metaphorically…

1 Like