Renaissance Faire workers are organizing to overthrow their exploitative king

Originally published at: Renaissance Faire workers are organizing to overthrow their exploitative king | Boing Boing

8 Likes

12 Likes

Wasn’t this the exact plot of a King of the Hill episode?

(Ok, I guess that one was more about gender equality but it did involve an exploitative king of a Renaissance Faire, voiced by none other than Alan Rickman)

27 Likes

Are these the Levellers or the True Levellers?

7 Likes

If they don’t carry pitchforks and torches when they picket I’ll be very disappointed.

17 Likes

The peasants are revolting!

18 Likes

You said it, they stink on ice!

6 Likes

I wonder what kind of shenanigans the owners will use to weasel out of giving workers better pay. Reminds me of gaming companies that “randomly” decide to do layoffs or close a studio after workers unionize.

11 Likes

You’d think their business was modeled after feudalism.

17 Likes

But… they got a sword from the lady of the lake…

11 Likes

I’m feeling lazy, so here’s the whole scene.

20 Likes
12 Likes

I was too lazy to dig up a clip or gif myself so there you go :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite

5 Likes

I know a lot of people that used to work or vend there. Getting dicked by King Dick’s was a common story. John Belushi quit within a week because they were horrible even back then. They even try to force performers into non competes that say they can’t work any other faire, when most of these performers do a circuit for 9 months. That means the ones that KR has are crap or can’t lose the contract for reasons. KR also does the abusive ticket system for food.

11 Likes

And as the cherry on top, if there’s a rain day, NOBODY gets paid.

Do what now? I’ve been to multiple fairs in the rain. Not down pouring, but still wet. Great cloak weather! The fair still goes on.

Except for the fair earlier this spring that would have been perfect for cloak weather but I left it back home 3 hrs away and froze my butt off :frowning: The ONE time it would have been perfect for it.

8 Likes

That struck me as odd, too. I’ve been to Michigan’s ren fest in rain and in snow. Attendance isn’t as great when rain is in the forecast, but they do not shut down.

13 Likes

Came for the Monty Python reference; not disappointed. :clap:

10 Likes

Monty Python Reaction GIF

6 Likes

I was working on the safety and security team on the of the very rare instances that the Bristol Renaissance Faire shut down and that was because a tornado had actually touched down less than 10 miles away. Even then we had visitors arguing with us about it! Yeah, most of the time rain reduces the visitors - usually down to the actual rennies - but it does not close it.

11 Likes