Rep. Katie Porter kindly offers to remove the oil industry's tax exemptions

I sure wish we had a representative like her in my district (NC 10), which is currently supposedly represented by Patrick McHenry. “Supposedly” because he’s never done anything remotely good for our district. IMO, of course.

9 Likes

She is such a badass!

4 Likes

If you can put an exact dollar value to it, it is very explicitly tangible. It feels like that dollar amount.

5 Likes

Wake me when Congress actually does something to remove the cush rebates they’ve been getting for years.

9 Likes

I’ll be happy wjen the government starts forcing these corporations to actually start working on mitigating global warming they’ve caused.

11 Likes

And find some sort of cute name for the bill removing those exemptions whose initials spell out the oil executive’s name if possible. Let the industry know exactly who prompted that bill.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea. Here’s a quick try:
Minimizing Undertaxation and Replenishing Public Holdings, Y’all!
Murphy’s law, haha.

10 Likes

2 Likes

“It’s ‘levy asshole’ not ‘leviosah’”

10 Likes

I’ve said it before, but: Katie Porter is the Mom America needs. (Also, she is no fucking joke, and probably my favorite member of the House of Representatives.)

7 Likes

Professor Katie Porter. Mom is a great role, but let’s not remove Katie Porter’s education and professional life from her description.

8 Likes

We shouldn’t, but her personal history (including her experience as a parent) contributes a lot to her advocacy and positions, arguably as much as her professional CV does.

4 Likes

Yes, but most men in Congress aren’t going to be described as “the dad American needs”, while it’s far more common to do that with women. We’re shoved, time and again, into the positions of nurtures, carers, and maternal figures, no matter what our actual achievements elsewhere.

9 Likes

If they really want a tax break on drilling into the ground, spend the same sum on promoting geothermal energy and ground-source heat pumps.

4 Likes

Wow. Someone who knows her facts and stands up for what’s right, unlike some other people who were somehow elected to the same government.

2 Likes

And the skills she was demonstrating are her professional skills as a lawyer, and as a law professor. I’m not sure how that gets transformed in to “the mom we need.”

Mike Pence, though, totally plays his “father role” up all the time. He’s very good at superficially seeming to be a trustworthy father figure, even as he lies out of both sides of his mouth. He used his paternal appearance and demeanor as cover for so much trump and GOP malfeasance. So as a voter I’m rather wary of any parental tropes vis-a-vis national leaders.

5 Likes

yes, PLEASE

Most of the men in Congress are the dads that nobody needs. If there were more good dads there we would have a far less dysfunctional government. We really need a few “the dad America needs” types in congress. Unfortunately all we got are a [metaphorical] mix of dads who are drunks, dads who are abusive or neglectful, and dads that the kids are just plain embarrassed to be seen around.

1 Like

Most men in congress (and in the world) are not defined by their reproductive capacity. Women are almost always are.

What we NEED in congress are PEOPLE who are going to do the work we’ve sent them there to do. It’s immaterial if they are married, have kids, etc. What matters is that they are doing the work they’re meant to do.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.