Report: Before plane crashed in France, pilot was locked out of cockpit

I wasn’t guessing yesterday. I was quoting the German safety officials.

I am the son of a pilot who flew large and small, landing on boats solo and also tarmac with hundreds aboard.

Pilots fail to the level of their training. They can also lose their minds like any of the rest of us, but don’t tell them that.

1 Like

Merkel looks so young in that picture

1 Like

e don’t know enough to make good guesses, no matter how hard we want to.

I wasn’t guessing yesterday. I was quoting the German safety officials.

That wasn’t a response to your post…it was part of the email my friend sent me.

Fair enough, and I did get that, and your friend is clearly a pilot. They have a way of speaking. I only mneant that some of what was being called speculation in this thread was actually quoted from official sources. But not by you as far as I noticed!

1 Like

Well, I read what they had to say, and stuck to that.

Things like: -The co-pilot can be heard breaething the entire time- or -The copilot pressed a button to cause a slow descent to 10,000 feet- or -The captain can be heartd tapping, then pounding on the door-

All I know about these officails is that they have access tot he crime scent, the primary research materials, and a sense of professionalism.

But by all means, tell me my summary of what they said is pure speculation!! If you need that, you can believe that.

1 Like

ENORMOUSLY more common than hijacking? Not on air carrier flights. Hijacking is more common on large carrier flights, despite hijacking being something less than 0.5% of crashes involving fatalities, a number bumped significantly by 9/11 but not added to since then.

Who brought up hijacking?

BTW I’m pretty sure people are not saying that what you repeat of what you have read is peculation, but rather the conclusion you draw from it is speculation. They’re right too.

1 Like

it’s not my conclusion. It is the stated conclusion of the officials that the plane was flown into the terrain intentionally.

So, you’re not correct. Please don’t be wrong about it.

Also, I was referring to ‘why planes fly into things’. Hijacking is not, pre 9/11, something that preceded very many controlled flights into terrain. None that I am aware of, actually… but suicidal pilots have existed since piloting.

But change what i said so I mean ‘all hijackings’ and of course you can be right. But you’re still incorrect about what I was getting at. But hey, remove nuance and stop seeking clarification, by all means! It’s totally how productive discussion happens, somewhere, I am sure.

1 Like

According to the ADS-B data broadcast by the plane for tracking, the autopilot was told to descend to 96ft at 09:30:55.

So the co-pilot set the autopilot into a dive, and waited.

Really appropriate time for joke picture. FFS.

I don’t like this being called suicide.

If you kill 150 people in the course of your self-ending, what you are is a mass-murderer.

I can think of better ways to go than sitting in a plane watching the captain trying to bash the cockpit door down while the copilot flies you into a mountain.

1 Like

Regardless how seriously you take the life, you’ll die anyway. Lighten up.

1 Like

Of course pilots are going to stick up for their own and not jump to conclusions about it being pilot error, they have a long history with that, just like any organization does.
Then everyone involved (manufacturer, investigators, airline, etc) needs to stay open minded and carefully weigh out the details as they are discovered before making careless accusations or misstatements that are just going to slow down or harm the investigation.

But for me, I love aviation, I love airplanes, I love flying, I love problem solving, I love mysteries and puzzles, and I want to spend a few minutes of my day playing arm chair crash investigator (just like your pilot friend did “20 scenarios”), even though I realize I only have only 1% of the details necessary to understand the crash. I also hope that what I talk about on here is not going to affect someone personally involved in this disaster, but I think the chances of that are zero.

For the record, I agree that it does look like that’s what happened. However, at the time the officials were suggesting that murder/suicide was a possibility, but not the only potential cause that they were looking at. The article doesn’t mention breathing, just that there was no response from the co-pilot.

1 Like

The pilot left the cockpit to look at a broken toilet???

The captain is responsible for all the crap on the plane.

4 Likes

No, he went out for a toilet break.

Yes, yes it does mention breathing. Stop man. is it so hard to admit you were incorrect without tearing someone elses face off? Because I will keep telling you when you are factually incorrect. But any wrongness will remain your choice, not mine.

I’ve not accused you of anything but missing facts. You spoke of my intent. How unfriendly of -me-.

Becasue concern driving trollies always improves any situation!

1 Like

Oh, don’t apologize - I think you gave a good explanation of a system that is designed to be complicated. Thanks!

The prosecutor mentioned breathing in the conference given four hours ago, after I had given my comment. The main article here and the New York Times article it links to do not, because that information was not out yet. There is a suggestion that it could have been deliberate, but also that it’s far too early to speculate about possible causes.

Well? Is it?

1 Like