Report: Before plane crashed in France, pilot was locked out of cockpit

Stop man. You’re making and taking thios personal. Stop. I’ll just flag you if you keep playing turnabout.

You were not correct, factually. What -you heard- 4 hours ago is what -you- heard. It was true, and was ALSO stated earlier than that.

If that hurts your ego, that’s on your ego. I’ve not said you were wrong until now. Now I am saying you’ve gotten to the point of being factually incorrect AND also now wrong about it. Stop responding to me on this topic please, it’s getting old

You’re seeminly looking to score points. I am sorry if you’re so freaked out that your ego is now involved.

It is more than a suggestion. It was more than a suggestion more than 4 hours ago. Your discounting of that fact is not that fact discounting itself. That’s your work!

It’s your right, but keep it to yourself if you don’t want to be factually corrected.

Oh, hey, look man, sorry about all the people you knew on that flight.

Also sorry about those people you knew back in Cabot Cove that met an untimely end.

3 Likes

the guys at flightradar24 managed to decode some of the transponder data from the flight and report that the autopilot was intentionally set to 100ft (96ft) by someone in the cockpit.

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/8650-We-have-analysed-the-raw-data-from-the-transponder-of-4U9525-and-found-some-more-dat

2 Likes

You seem intent on assuming he was “covering up for his own” by not sharing the scenarios he was thinking of. In fact he was just being responsible in not spreading speculation based on incomplete information. He said his own private hypothesis at the time was an oxygen problem while one of them was taking a toilet break, anoxia causing the odd behavior. But that was based on limited data…and was wrong.
He wouldn’t share some of his thoughts for security reasons, but he certainly has no problem blaming pilots…his main example was a case of blatant pilot error!

BTW, he’s always been skeptical of the reinforced doors. After 9/11, it seems unlikely that passengers would allow anyone near the door, armed or not. In every case of someone rushing the cockpit, they’ve been buried (and in one case suffocated to death) by passengers. So far these doors seem to
have facilitated more deaths than they have prevented.

3 Likes

Voice of reason, thanks. Mine didn’t have much to say…

Well, to be clear --I was speculating. Couldn’t help myself in the moment. The annoyance was completely self-directed.

I was under the impression you were weary of the speculation and used his response to give an example of moral high ground. I read more into your post than was there, sorry about that.

Looks like the pilot was suffering depression. The police found a doctor’s note at his apartment (he was not supposed to be at work that day).

Of course, when you get a rule that depressed pilots (or pilots taking antidepressants) must not fly, you will also get pilots who are untreated or undertreated and at the same moment fearful of losing job. Which was likely the case, or close to it.

7 Likes

There are other ways to commit suicide that do not involve mass murder,

1 Like

Are you comparing Lubitz to Moriarty?

1 Like

No, that was my favorite of the images that came up when I searched for a “no shit, Sherlock” .gif.

1 Like

They also don’t force the society to deal with, or at least see, its more pervasive problems that lead to the suicides. Maybe make a headline in a local news, that vanishes in a day or two; likely not even that.

If this event pushes the society to deal better with people facing health issue, whether depression or (as some new evidence shows, if I remember correctly) gradual loss of vision, the net gain in prevented loss of lives can be higher than the give or take 150 paid now.

3 Likes

That’s likely due to the rise in hijackings in the 70s and 80s, where they goal was to hold the plane hostage and get something out of it.

1 Like

I think you’re right, but it also can create the wrong kind of reaction and conversation about the mentally ill, which only helps to reinforce the stigma of people dealing with mental illness. Think about what happened in the US after Columbine - kids who were socially awkward or bullied in schools were not given the help they needed - instead most schools just used it as an opportunity to treat all kids, but especially ones that were already outsiders, as inherently dangerous and criminal.

Then again, suicidal political acts also do little to help - a few years ago, there was a guy who self-immolated, in chicago I think, as a protest against the war, and it got little attention. then again, the Arab spring was kicked off by a buy who self-immolated.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.