Reporter to Trump: "Do you regret all the lying you've done to the American people?"

Has he tweetstormed huffpo since then? I am not reading his tweets any more.

I am surprised that the question “Are a fucking moron?” hasn’t been asked.

1 Like

That’s the ticket. Just ignore the question and one day it will disappear. Just like COVID-19. :wink:

15 Likes

As appealing as it may have been, next to all the buzz on all channels, at the end it just comes down exactly the level of Trump, Hannity et al. Not to mention that the outcome was more than predictable. It might get some KUDOS from the viewers, but in the end just leads to less and/or more controlled press encounters

The much more clever and revealing way to ask/demonstrate exactly what Mr. Dáte might have intended was brilliantly demonstrated by Mr. Swan from Axios early this monts

1 Like

No. If he had just shouted at trump that he was a liar, that would be one thing. He’s asking him a question based on facts, that Trump regularly lies to the American people. A pointed and blunt question that doesn’t pretty up what Trump has been doing needs to happen a lot more. If journalist would say he lies, because he does, then maybe we could stop pretending like this is just another case of “both sides” when it’s absolutely not.

Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be called out. I don’t think he expected him to answer, but maybe his colleagues will start being as blunt about his lies as he was right there.

23 Likes

i think the list of lies ( 100 in 35 minutes? ) in this thread shows that listening to a “good” trump interview, even if you’re an informed viewer, is going to leave you with a lot of incorrect impressions

the author argues interviewing him isn’t useful, and i almost think i agree. what’s the point when almost nothing he says is grounded in the real world?

17 Likes

Very much this!

14 Likes

If our first president was Trump…

“Did you chop down that cherry tree?”

“That didn’t happen. And if it did, it wasn’t that bad. And if it was, that’s not a big deal. And if it is, it is not my fault. And if it was, I didn’t mean it. And if I did. You deserved it”.

10 Likes

Wait- before I click that link, I’m gonna guess-

“I’ve never lied to the American people. Everyone else is lying. Treating me very unfairly.”

2 Likes

an alternative solution might be this?

2 Likes

He can’t even laugh off the question, as a normal human might. Trump has zero ability to laugh at himself and he takes every slight very seriously.

7 Likes

Oh, no, both sides do lie. One side lies occasionally when the truth is too awful (and they really shouldn’t’), and the same kind of times other people tend to lie (“does this dress make me look fat?”, or “Do the families of kids attending COVID parties deserve any compassion?” (lie: “any death is tragic and the family deserves our sympathy”, truth: “if you hadn’t raised your kids to be jackasses and maybe told them how Covid is a joke they would be alive wouldn’t they? The family deserves to try to convince a jury they didn’t contribute to their kid’s murder”). The other side lies almost continuously, not just for political gain, but because it apparently can’t remember how to tell the truth when the truth is not harmful to it. And sure by “side” I mostly mean Trump, because the rest of the Republicans will more consistently tell the truth when the truth is politically harmless.

Both sides can also go “underwater” when one side is “me” and the other side is a nuclear sub. I think we have a similar disparity, but it ain’t “never” and “always” with the lies…

I frequently wonder why anyone bothers to ask him questions at all, for the same reason. I heard other parts of this press event, where Trump completely failed to answer the questions being asked of him (though he said something, it had nothing to do with the question). When reporters tried to get him to answer the question/acknowledge he hadn’t answered it, he just aggressively moved on, as here.

3 Likes

The question itself is the equivalent to the “Have you stopped beating your wife?” maneuver. If he answered yes or no, he’d admit to being a liar. It’s actually surprising he didn’t step on the trap.

1 Like

LIE: Trump says “at this moment” the death toll is 140,000.

TRUTH: It’s actually 160,000—14.2% higher than Trump said. That’s a staggering percentage for the president to be off, given that he’s briefed daily on the death toll and his error represents 20,000 dead Americans.

The Axios interview was on 5 Aug.
The US hit 140,000 deaths on ~29 July.

Therefore another way of interpreting the delta of 20,000 is that trump’s data was nearly a week out of date.

This does not reflect creditably upon him.

(Edit: on the other hand … 5 Aug: 146,831, so ‘only’ ~7,000 or 5% over, but still 5 or 6 days out of date)

5 Likes

Simple logic:
Only luzers have regrets.
Tramp ain’t no luzer.
Thus, Tramp eschews regrets.
QED.

1 Like

He would have to say yes to that, would he not?

It wasn’t a cherry tree at all.

2 Likes

Super easy for someone who’s not a journalist to say, but what’s a journalist without access to sources who’ll talk to her?

credibly on whom?

trump is president of the united states of fing america. if he can’t be bothered to be briefed once a day on the current progress of the worst pandemic of the modern era, he can go throw himself in the ocean for all i care

and if somebody’s biggest issue with a person who actually bothered to listen to trump for 35 minutes and break down all of his nonsense is whether the numbers are precise enough… i can’t even

1 Like