Reporter to Trump: "Do you regret all the lying you've done to the American people?"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/14/reporter-to-trump-do-you-re.html

13 Likes

The entire press pool should ask him this question every fucking day…

74 Likes

Ok, now how do we get the WH Press corps to repeat this question all day, every day until the end of time?

43 Likes

If he’d called on me without answer, I would have pointed at that reporter and said “Same question: do you regret all the lying you’ve done for the last three years?”

Come on reporters, he’s terrible at this game. The only reason he succeeds is because you drop down to his level and engage him there. He can’t even lie about lying, which is the sign of a true amateur at the lying game. A smooth professional would have said “I never lie” and moved right along.

59 Likes

Should have asked him why he’s totally fucking useless and abhorrent.

21 Likes

A middle finger would do when called upon.

17 Likes

“question mister president!”
“yes?”
“you’re a traitor and a mass murderer. I hope you get covid and die. It’d be very fitting.”

20 Likes

The look on trump’s face gives me a bit of joy. He is completely flummoxed by the question and that a mere mortal would actually utter it.

36 Likes

He wanted to use his “nasty woman” line, but a guy asked him the question, and his brain seized up.

57 Likes

More like this. But most journalists who make it to the West Wing press room are craven access-journalism careerists.

37 Likes

This. This is the core of the problem. The Beltway, access-driven, cocktail party journalists don’t care about journalism. They care about access.

33 Likes

Great question, but why not preface it with a reference to someone who’s documented him lying as prez over 20,000 times now.

17 Likes

Yep. Early on there was talk about ending the presidential press corp and people got up in arms about it. My view was: wrong reasons, but the right idea. We don’t need reporters who are being chummy to have access, we need reporters who will dig into the dirt and turn it over constantly. Most of the folks at these events are useless, and the good ones have been removed. End the whole dog and pony show.

25 Likes

Agreed. And it’s reporters across the spectrum. The dapper David Brooks is probably the best example, but the rot is everywhere.

6 Likes

This is what I keep saying-

Journalists in that room act like 3 star Michelan chefs deciding for no reason they want to not give a fuck and go make fries at McDonald’s.

Ask real questions like this, and do it with your damn spine behind you!

Everyone sane in America is done expecting you to avoid looking impartial- start asking questions that need to be asked, regardless of what you think they’ll frame it as- DO YOUR DAMN JOBS.

You’re supposed to be the people who expose the truth- start acting like it!

27 Likes

What would happen if the White House held a press conference and nobody came?

13 Likes

Papi would be proud. Hit it right out of the park.

1*8u-jBfmgLYr8JoJBGE661A

3 Likes

I think Trump would be happy, down deep. I know he brags about the ratings of the briefings and whatnot, but I think he is really standing there pretty much scared to death.

10 Likes

Its not even simply lying - he lies when it is blatantly obvious he is lying - its shameless and delusional.

8 Likes

In his post mortem, he mentions that this is where the question would have ended up.

From the Guardian piece:

With the burning question posed, what would he ask if he had another chance?

Given that Trump had failed to respond, it would be: “‘Mr President, you didn’t answer last time. Could you address why you’ve told …’ whatever the number will be by then,” said Dáte.

13 Likes