Reporters at U.S. Capitol told they are not allowed to film interviews with senators in hallways

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/13/capitol-censorship.html

5 Likes

Fascism is alive and well in the good ole’ USA!

14 Likes

We the People pay for that public space, and so maybe we should weigh in on this one?

To call your Member of Congress:
US Capitol Switchboard (202) 224-3121

20 Likes

Considering the current state of electronic miniaturization, I predict a run on the supply of camera glasses and lapel pins.

9 Likes

Suddenly, onerous regulations are popular with the Tea Baggers.

10 Likes

But those are small government regulations – they don’t get in the way of the business of America (which, as always, IS business [1].)

[1] Remember the source of this famous line.

1 Like

This is just crying out for some malicious compliance, flooding the committee with requests; only doing your interviews in the halls; submitting your requests in any form you can (braille, semaphore, iced onto a cake). What you need is Mark Thomas.

8 Likes

Is there any confirmation of this from an authoritative source or is Twitter the only source?

It’s time for some civil disobedience, I think.

6 Likes

You know, when I was a kid and somebody said, “greatest nation on Earth,” it was nonsense, but at least there was some evidence to point to. Moon landing, Marshall Plan, Social Security.

Today, it’s just mandatory empty words. The people in power are doing everything they can to destroy the country, and we wave our little flags. I wonder where this road goes.

21 Likes

I would consider NBC News’s capitol hill correspondent (the first quoted tweet) to be an authoritative source. There’s also this:

9 Likes

speak for yourself, my flag’s really big #sizematters

2 Likes

Even when it’s at… um… half-staff?

2 Likes

Oh, hell yeah. bc you know, the size of my flagpole :wink:

1 Like

How is this not a violation of the First Amendment? I honestly don’t understand why every major media outlet hasn’t already filed a lawsuit.

9 Likes

10 Likes

It’s hot as blazes in DC so prepare for allot of sweatier than usual politicians being interviewed under tents and under even hotter lights.

I am guessing this has everything to do with security perimeters as they prepare to remove health care coverage from millions of citizens.

“Republican senators want so badly to hide their healthcare repeal that they’re barring the filming of interviews in their hallways," DNC deputy communications Adrienne Watson said in a statement. "This is a pathetic and disturbing attempt to silence the press as Trump and Republicans prepare to take away healthcare from millions and millions of people to give millionaires and billionaires another massive tax break.” -DNC

For what it’s worth here is some clarification:

This stinks.

4 Likes

The Hill’s got an actual article on the topic now.

2 Likes

Course, it mostly cites the tweets provided here.

2 Likes
2 Likes