Republican lawmaker expelled from Oregon legislature after helping armed raiders enter state capitol

Originally published at: Republican lawmaker expelled from Oregon legislature after helping armed raiders enter state capitol | Boing Boing

11 Likes

he was the only member to vote against it.

20 Likes

Good. Now prison.

36 Likes

Is it too much to hope that the states will set an example for the federal government to follow? :thinking:

32 Likes

“Nearman also faces criminal charges stemming from the incident. He was arraigned May 11. They are misdemeanors but do carry possible jail time.” -USAToday

Yeah, he’ll maybe pay a fine or two.

20 Likes

Right? Consequence culture at work- much more of this please!

21 Likes

ha ha lol GIF by Desus & Mero

29 Likes

This is as lame as being the only one that likes your own post…

22 Likes

2-Jerry-Maguire-quotes

15 Likes

Why was he even allowed to vote? Should have recused himself. But whatever.

18 Likes

Nah…I’m thinking more like a tiny hole under the prison.

3 Likes

[tangential observation warning]

https://boingboing.net/2021/06/07/in-a-secretly-recorded-video-gop-oregon-lawmaker-tells-protesters-how-he-will-help-them-enter-closed-state-capitol.html/amp

I didn’t realize that BoingBoing had an Amp view. I hope to continue not realizing this in the future.

3 Likes

The My Pillow guy will pay it for him, being a hero to the cause and all.

5 Likes

“About five weeks ago, as one of the closest colleagues he has in the Capitol, I asked ‘is there ANY further video or other evidence?’” Post wrote on his personal website. “He said ‘no.’ That is the crux of the problem: he lied. To me personally and to the Republican caucus.”

I respectfully submit that this is actually not the crux of the problem. But that’s just me.

18 Likes

Why would that be a bad thing?

I seem to recall that “embrace, extend, extinguish” was Considered Harmful when MS was doing it.

But Nearman refused his colleagues’ entreaties. He told conservative radio host Lars Larson on Monday that he’d force the House to vote him out rather than resigning. He even suggested there might be an upside to becoming the first-ever member of the Oregon House to be expelled.

“Someday you’re gonna be watching ‘Jeopardy’ and somebody’s gonna say, ‘Who is Mike Nearman?’ And that’s gonna be the right answer,” Nearman said.

At least he put his colleagues’ safety in Jeopardy for a good reason.

10 Likes

#priorities

3 Likes

Good. Now more of this in the Senate and House.

4 Likes

Mike Nearman now:

GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

2 Likes