Republican Senator refuses to apologize after posting photo of Jewish opponent with digitally enlarged nose

Or check under Protocols to see if the settings are right.

2 Likes

I’ve heard arguments that the Germany economy had turned around before Hitler came to power, but due to the lag between changes and the perceived results, Hitler was able to take credit for that. The Nazis turned the economy into a giant Ponzi scheme, and were only able to keep it going by looting. If they hadn’t gone to war, and a war-time economy, it would have fallen apart.

Maybe, maybe not, but like all Nazi myths it needs a closer look.

1 Like

Another similarity with Republicans. Every time they win a Presidential election, within the next year they take credit for an improving economy. As if anything they could do in a couple of months would have that kind of instantaneous effect.

I’m not an economic historian… but Adam Tooze wrote a pretty influential history of the economy under the nazis, Wages of Destruction:

It’s been ages since I’ve read it, though, so can’t remember details about his argument (it’s about 800 pages…).

I do think I’ve heard that argument and it’s entirely possible.

That’s pretty much the case, I think. Let’s not forget that they kicked a large number of people out of the economy (Jews, the disabled, Romani, Communists, women) which helped them to say they had “full employment” by giving that wealth and those jobs to “German” men…

5 Likes

Obligatory military service and throwing the “work lazy” into prison work camps were real “job creators” too. (Too bad the wages went down, details details…)

Hm. I thought maybe I’d listened to a CBC Radio podcast about it, and this was at the top of a “CBC Radio Ideas nazi economy” search. Spooky!

4 Likes

He’s trending! :grin:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.