Republican State Senator's "business degree" turns out to be from Sizzler Steakhouse

As his nickname.

7 Likes

So he believes we should impose limits for Democrats, but not for shrimp.

20 Likes

When someone would ask him what Forbco Management was he’d just whisper … “Sizzler”… Like their commercials.

3 Likes

TMI I’m hoping that was just a slightly sloppy choice of words. I don’t want anything encouraging me to conjure up a non-vague mental image of this feat.

10 Likes

Worse - “The bill” was his nickname for his southern exposure.

5 Likes

Damnit, why did I waste so much time and money going to a real university? It would’ve been so much cheaper to go to Sizz U.

15 Likes

Not Ole Sizz?

17 Likes

So, you’re a cardiologist.

15 Likes

One is full of beef and the other pork? :slight_smile:

25 Likes

The guy should have just gotten his degree on the DarkWeb for 6 BitCoins like i did! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Perhaps the US needs something like the VroniPlag initiative. Led to a few high profile minister resignations over here (Defense Minister Theodor zu Guttenberg and Education Minister Annette Schavan (<- delicious irony)).

On the other hand US politicians (esp. the republican ones) and voters have a distinctly anti-intellectualism bend (global warming, vaccines, creationism) - lying about credentials is probably more boon than harm .
As I. Asimov said:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

12 Likes

The rate we are going I expect she will get to a few more of them.

2 Likes

Man of the people!

4 Likes

That’s actually incorrect only part of the truth. (Apologies, @LearnedCoward, I only just found out about the “gym degree”. I am insufficiently versed in the Archer canon. You were right and I was wrong. I genuflect before my statue of Mary Archer, the Virgin Mary for our times, reciting an entire rosary of Hail Archers).

Archer somehow managed to go to Oxford for a bit to do a diploma in education.He got in with qualifications which some say were faked. I am not sure if he actually has a degree because his Who’s Who entry is rather vague on the subject. He’s not worth wasting a lot of time on in this thread, but anybody who wants to see how you rise without trace in the Conservative Party needs to read his bio.

edit - I too fell for the Archer mythos; I’ve corrected my post because when I checked, even the sanitised version I had been told fell short of the whole truth.

7 Likes

Dr. Ian Paisley, one of the main fomenters of sectarianism in Northern Ireland, bought his “doctorate” from a US “Bible college” for £150. I guess you can still do that and you don’t need to work in a fast food restaurant.
I once interviewed a candidate who had a first class CS degree from a university I’d never heard of, complete with certificate.
First question: “OK, what’s the length of an int in C?”
“I don’t know.”
“Let’s try another. What’s the word length of a 486?” (the current Intel CPU)
“I don’t know.”
In fact, he was unable to answer a single one of the basic questions I used to enable candidates to start off by getting everything right before I went on to the hard ones.

13 Likes

Which bio?! I can’t stand Archer. Charlatans just anger me.

4 Likes

I don’t want anything encouraging me to conjure up a non-vague mental image of this feat.

go on, rip off the bandaid

11 Likes

Let it be noted that you are not a nice person @kaibeezytentroy. That was below the belt.

12 Likes

I agree, but it’s still funny to compare his Who’s Who entry with Wikipedia.

4 Likes

Come on, the guy went to Oxford department of education, that’s got to count for something! :wink: