Republican Tennessee Gov. signs executive order to make it harder to buy guns

Originally published at: Republican Tennessee Gov. signs executive order to make it harder to buy guns | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Direct line from this:

to:

to:

17 Likes

It’s gonna get challenged by his own party in the courts soon enough… and the GOP controlled legislature will be driving the charge…

But yeah… the kind of actions that those young men engaged in will make change!

15 Likes

Hang on. @Carla_Sinclair is this a typo, confusing Tennessee Governor Bill Lee with Kentucky Governor Beshear - who lost a family friend in the Louisville bank shooting - or did two different governors from two adjacent states lose friends in mass shootings just over a week apart?

18 Likes

That’s what happens when you shoot rich white people.

17 Likes

At the rate this country is going, it won’t be long until everyone is personally affected by gun violence.

Pedro Laughing GIF by Brand MKRS creative agency

11 Likes

The Louisville shooting comes just two weeks after three children and three adults were killed at a Christian elementary school in Nashville. Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee said that one of the adult victims, Cindy Peak, was friends with his wife, Maria.

17 Likes

Polling says it’s already more than half.

NPR interview about the poll and it’s method.

12 Likes

And the generational trauma from all that PTSD too!!!

13 Likes

Yep, two different governors lost friends to mass shootings within two weeks. U.S. gun violence rise: Two governors lose friends in mass shootings

12 Likes

“I believe this will protect victims and it will hold dangerous non-white people accountable and away from firearms,” said Lee.

5 Likes

Make no mistake, while this is a teeny tiny step in the right direction, this is about further stigmatizing the mentally ill and setting up a CYA defense for the future; “See, a GOP governor restricted access and it didn’t make a difference!” I am heartened to see that domestic violence was included, but I would be the least bit surprised if this leads to fewer restraining orders and charges against abusers.

It’s not the guns. It’s anything but the guns.

6 Likes

He may be laying the groundwork for a national run as a “not as crazy as the rest” republican.

• Supplementing mental health efforts by expanding the recovery court system and recovery court programming
• Eliminating the $180 state expungement fee
• Expanding higher education programming for incarcerated individuals

5 Likes

So far him and Asa Hutchinson…

6 Likes

I think the ammosexuals will go with this BS argument in response.

6 Likes

So let me get this right:
kids getting gunned down at school: OK
family friend getting gunned down: OMG! WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!! (the bare minimum, but something)

/s

2 Likes

This bill is way past due. A commercial drivers’ license for semi drivers requires a complete physical, a test on driving laws, drug testing, and a background check to handle a huge transport truck. This is the very least which should be required for ownership of something far more deadly.

3 Likes

And just as hopeless. The “less crazy” left the party long ago. The fascists are all that is left.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.